Wiki S63.055- Code once or multiple times for same hand?

heplerak

New
Best answers
I recently came across a chart where the doctor wrote this code 3 times because he was going to treat several fingers on the same hand. I think it should only be listed once and the CPT code would reflect the multiple sites. I thought this because the diagnosis code covers the whole hand so there only needs to be 1 code. Any clarification would be great.

You never list an ICD-10 CM code more than once on a cllain.. for thumb and fingers look in the S63 category and you willl find codes for thumbs and fingers to be more specific to the site.

I recently came across a chart where the doctor wrote this code 3 times because he was going to treat several fingers on the same hand. I think it should only be listed once and the CPT code would reflect the multiple sites. I thought this because the diagnosis code covers the whole hand so there only needs to be 1 code. Any clarification would be great.

A diagnosis would only be applied once/claim and attached to each line item but my concern here is that this code is for other carpometatarpal joint. There are specific codes for each of the CMC joints. I would anticipate that there are more appropriate ICD-10 codes to attach.