Wiki SCLEROTHERYAPY CT GUIDED CODING HELP!

mnmd9488

Contributor
Best answers
Hi,

I am coding for anesthesia for a pt that had ct guided sclerotherapy for an anuerysmal bone cyst on of the right humerus.

I am not sure how to code this, none of the slcerosant CPT codes seem to fit. From what I see they all deal with the lower limbs or spider veins. Would I be able to use 20615?

Please see op report below.

PROCEDURE: Limited CT scan through the right humerus was performed to localize the aneurysmal bone cyst and choose sites for needle insertion. After reviewing the images, multiple sites were selected and the overlying skin was marked. The right arm was then prepped and draped in sterile manner. The cutaneous and subcutaneous tissues were locally anesthetized at each of the needle insertion sites using 1% lidocaine. Next, 18-gauge spinal needles were inserted through the soft tissues to the outer cortex of the aneurysmal bone cyst. Repeat CT scan was performed to confirm needle position and trajectory. The needles were then advanced through the outer cortex into the cystic cavity.

A small amount of dilute contrast was injected into the needles and a repeat CT scan was performed to confirm filling of the majority of the aneurysmal bone cyst. As contrast was injected into each of the needles, blood and contrast were seen exiting an adjacent needle. Next, doxycycline foam mixture (200 mg doxycycline, 5 mL lidocaine 1%, 5 mL albumin 25%, 5 mL air) was injected into each of the needles until doxycycline foam was seen exiting from an adjacent needle. No bleeding was noted from the needles and the needles were removed. Hemostasis was achieved by applying manual pressure. A bandage was applied to each of the access sites.

The patient tolerated the procedure well. There were no immediate complications. The plan will be to see the patient back in approximately 4 months for MRI.

Hi,

I am coding for anesthesia for a pt that had ct guided sclerotherapy for an anuerysmal bone cyst on of the right humerus.

I am not sure how to code this, none of the slcerosant CPT codes seem to fit. From what I see they all deal with the lower limbs or spider veins. Would I be able to use 20615?

Please see op report below.

PROCEDURE: Limited CT scan through the right humerus was performed to localize the aneurysmal bone cyst and choose sites for needle insertion. After reviewing the images, multiple sites were selected and the overlying skin was marked. The right arm was then prepped and draped in sterile manner. The cutaneous and subcutaneous tissues were locally anesthetized at each of the needle insertion sites using 1% lidocaine. Next, 18-gauge spinal needles were inserted through the soft tissues to the outer cortex of the aneurysmal bone cyst. Repeat CT scan was performed to confirm needle position and trajectory. The needles were then advanced through the outer cortex into the cystic cavity.

A small amount of dilute contrast was injected into the needles and a repeat CT scan was performed to confirm filling of the majority of the aneurysmal bone cyst. As contrast was injected into each of the needles, blood and contrast were seen exiting an adjacent needle. Next, doxycycline foam mixture (200 mg doxycycline, 5 mL lidocaine 1%, 5 mL albumin 25%, 5 mL air) was injected into each of the needles until doxycycline foam was seen exiting from an adjacent needle. No bleeding was noted from the needles and the needles were removed. Hemostasis was achieved by applying manual pressure. A bandage was applied to each of the access sites.

The patient tolerated the procedure well. There were no immediate complications. The plan will be to see the patient back in approximately 4 months for MRI.
I checked DR. Z. They recommended using 20615 to report sclerotherapy for aneurysmal bone cyst back to 2018 Q&A.