Wiki Secondary Insurance Expired During Pregnancy

ARCPC9491

True Blue
Best answers
I am not familar with the insurance side of OB whatsoever.....and hopefully someone knows the answer!!

This is actually about me... I have dual coverage - 2 BC/BS policies - my secondary is a Federal policy, and primary just regular BC/BS. Well, my secondary coverage expired in August (while I was pregnant) I am due in December and have been receiving services since April. So half of my pregnancy I was covered by my secondary. Well, since the OB codes are global I was concerned if my secondary was going to pay or not. I called them to see if they would partially pay and they told me that each component of the global code would have to be billed seperately and they would pay accordingly.

Does this make sense? Is this the standard/norm? I don't want to pay out of pocket if I don't have to!:p

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Unfortunately, your insurance company is correct- they will only pay up until your policy end date, so if your OB bills globally, it will not be covered because the date of service for the global code will be your delivery date. You can try to talk to your OB's billing person and see if they will bill everything individually, but I wouldn't count on that- there is a reason that they created those global codes..... sorry!