Wiki Sensory/Mixed Nerve Conduction Studies

KCDUENAS

New
Best answers
I need help understanding sensory/mixed nerves. For example our neurologist performed the sensory NCS on the following:

L Median- Dig II
L Median- Palmar (mixed nerve)

R Median- Dig II
R Median- Palmar (mixed nerve)

L Ulnar- Dig V
L Ulnar- Palmar (mixed nerve)

R Ulnar- Dig V
R Ulnar- Palmar (mixed nerve)

I initially thought to count this as 4 studies as Appendix I does not separate sensory/mixed nerves, however, after reading a coding tip from CPT Assistant (March 2013) I got confused. It states: "A nerve conduction study is counted only once when mulitple sites on the same nerve are stimulated or recorded. Motor, sensory, mixed motor/sensory, or H-reflex tests are each counted per nerve tested."

The last sentence makes me think to count the mixed nerves separate. Thanks for any help in advance!

I didn't see that you posted a separate question when I responded to the earlier thread:
A mixed nerve has both motor and sensory nerve fibers. When testing the sensory fibers of a mixed nerve, it would be "counted" as a sensory nerve conduction study. There are very few "pure" sensory nerves.

Total of 8 nerves studied.

Appendix J includes a separate listing for each of the following nerve / nerve branches and includes the "Each nerve constitutes one unit of service":
Median sensory to the second digit
Median palmar mixed nerve
Ulnar sensory to the fifth digit
Ulnar palmar mixed nerve