Wiki SNF Coding Help Please

Joan Prisco

Networker
Best answers
I understand that according to Medicare regulations , a patient's Benifit peroid is 100 days for SNF care.:confused: If a patient is discharged from a SNF for less then 30 days and is sent back to SNF they are within the same benefit peroid and do not need the 3 day qualifying hospital stay. If the discharge is more then 30 days but less then 60- same benifit peroid but they need 3 day qualifying stay at the hospital to be readmitted. MY Question is.. Each time a patient returnes to the SNF, does that qualify (for part B) as an initial of subsequent visit? We have Drs. that are writing readmissions and coding subsequent visits. Please help if I made the question clear enough.
Thanks

Its been a while since I have dealt with SNFs, but I was reading about SNFs and copay/deductibles, etc today on CMS.gov and it had some very good info about this exact issue. If you can't find that right chapter, PM me and I will get it for you. I printed out the chapter so can give it to you if you need it (its at work, I am at home).