Wiki Spinal Procedures

nyyankees

True Blue
Best answers
We have a new Spine Dr who is doing some procedures I need some info on. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can find info on these CPT codes:

Thanks..
:D

According to the CDR,

63650:

This procedure is performed to alleviate pain or contraol spasms. The patient is face down. A standard epidural puncture is made. A think-walled needle is placed in the appropiate segment. A flexible wire electrode is threaded through the needle under fluro control. Intraoperative testing is carried out to assure correct electrode positioning creating maximum paresthesia in the pain region. The needle is removed and a dressing is applied. A transmitter (pulse generator or receiver) is inserted in a seperately reportable procedure. Stimulation may be applied as soon as four days following the procedure.

63190:

A rhizotomy is performed on the anterior nerve roots to stopy involuntary spasmodic movements associated with paraplegia or torticollis. It is also performed on the posterior nerve roots to eliminate pain in a restricted area. The patient is face down. The physician makes a midline incisiion overlying the affected vertebrae. The fascia are incised. The paravertebral muscles are retracted. Laminectomy is performed. The physician identifies the anterior or posterior nerve roots to be divided. Each is lifted with a nerve hook and severed. Fascia, muscles, and ligaments are allowed to fall back into place. The incision is closed with layered sutures. REport 63185 if the procedure includes on or two segments; report 63190 i the procedure includes two or more segments.