Wiki Staff Training for ICD -10

cstrutz

Best answers
I am just curious as to how other coders are training their medical staff for ICD -10. I am working on a training plan but I am unsure what would be the best way to train the medical staff in house vs sending all of them to a training conference.

Last edited:
Workbook

Our company provided each coder with a 2015 ICD 10 draft and the workbook entitled Detailed instruction for Appropriate ICD 10 CM coding (We do not code facility here so we did not need the ICD 10 PCS).

I took the AAPC ICD10 code set training. A coworker bought the practice test after she had completed the workbook and she passed the Proficiency Exam on the 1st try. Another coworker completed the workbook and then took the proficiency exam and she also passed on the first try.

Yesterday, I had someone verify my credential and to my surprise AAPC is showing that I have NOT taken the ICD-10-CM Proficiency Exam. I called AAPC and they confirmed that they do not show I took the exam. I explained to her I took the test on 12/17/2014 with time I signed on and when I finished. I was instructed to fax my certification to them. As of today when I check still does not show that I took and pass the exam. I suggest that if everyone that took the exam to check the credentials as well.

Please rest assured that we have not lost anyone's results. We do have a technical glitch that is making it not show up for you on the website. I promise we will get it resolved as soon as possible and we have been working around the clock since the problem was identified. I apologize for this additional stress, but I guarantee you that your results are not lost. Please give us a couple of days to fix the issue. If you have any additional concerns, please feel free to contact me directly at rhonda.buckholtz@aapc.com.