Wiki STUDY QUESTION - 27447 VS 01402-AA-P1

Grahamzack

Contributor
Best answers
I am new AAPC member and across my studies I have come across a few bewildering problems.
Can someone please help me understand this answer.

Under a study op report listed is Total Knee Arthroscopy
what cpt and anesthesia code?

I answered 27447 and 01402-AA-P1 (Healthy patient, anesthesia administered by anesthesiologist)

The answer was only 01402-AA-P1

But if I look up 27477 on Codify, it tells me anesthesia is included in the surgical procedure and not billed separately.

So why is the answer 01402 ONLY and not Both or just 27447?

Thank you for any help.

I am new AAPC member and across my studies I have come across a few bewildering problems.
Can someone please help me understand this answer.

Under a study op report listed is Total Knee Arthroscopy
what cpt and anesthesia code?

I answered 27447 and 01402-AA-P1 (Healthy patient, anesthesia administered by anesthesiologist)

The answer was only 01402-AA-P1

But if I look up 27477 on Codify, it tells me anesthesia is included in the surgical procedure and not billed separately.

So why is the answer 01402 ONLY and not Both or just 27447?

Thank you for any help.
It depends on who you are coding for. If you're coding for the anesthesiologist, it is 01402. If you're coding for the surgeon, it is 27447 (assuming you mean total knee arthroplasty).

That exactly is my confusion.

"What CPT and ICD-10-CM codes are reported? What anesthesia time is reported?"

It doesn't tell me who I am coding for.
I have 0 real world experience with coding, I am only 2 months into studying.
So it matters who I am coding for?
So both of my answers are right depending on who I am working for?
I assumed there was only 1 answer for coding op reports?

sorry, I am really green at this
this is a career change for me and I just started

It depends on who you are coding for. If you're coding for the anesthesiologist, it is 01402. If you're coding for the surgeon, it is 27447 (assuming you mean total knee arthroplasty).
Thank you, I wasn't aware. I was discouraged to see that I got the answer wrong, but it seems I got it right, my answer was just without the context of who I needed to be coding for.
Thank you.