Wiki Tear during Cataract surgery

Ksumansky

Best answers
I was wondering how to code this complication from a dx stand point.

After the implant was placed there was some residual cortical material that was being removed there was noted to be a small tear in the posterior capsule with some vitreaous present: therefore a limited anterior vitrectomy was undertaken in a binmanual techniqu through a self sealing paracentesis site............

I was going to use dx 366.16, 871.1, and E870.0 Any thought on this????

Thank you for all your time in advance!

I was wondering how to code this complication from a dx stand point.

After the implant was placed there was some residual cortical material that was being removed there was noted to be a small tear in the posterior capsule with some vitreaous present: therefore a limited anterior vitrectomy was undertaken in a binmanual techniqu through a self sealing paracentesis site............

I was going to use dx 366.16, 871.1, and E870.0 Any thought on this????

Thank you for all your time in advance!

I would not use the e-code as it pertains to an actual "cut" that would have been caused by the srugeon. The surgeon is calling it a tear.

Make sense?
Mary, CPC, COSC

so I wouldn't use the e code but I would keep the 871.1? Or did I pick the wrong E code? Would E878.8 work better in your opinion?

Thank you for your advice.

Kelly

I would check with the surgeon, It sounds to me more like there was some vitreous prolapse from the tear.

I would not use the 871.1, that is for a laceration (unless you have documentation that actually states "laceration")

The E848.8 could be okay, but before doing that I would check with the surgeon regarding the above.

Hope this helps
Mary, CPC, COSC