kstine713

Networker
Best answers
Hello,

Do you know how our providers would code if they are attempting a virtual video visit, but technology fails (video freezing, poor connection, etc.) and the provider has to finish the visit via telephone? I have communicated that the provider would have to use the phone codes at that point, but our providers are saying they heard that as long as you have attempted the video call, you can still bill like it was a virtual visit even if you finish by phone only. Any links you have are super appreciated!

Thank you!

I've done a bit of research on this, but have not seen this scenario posed before. My offhand and unofficial opinion would be if they performed the majority of the visit via video, and then it failed at the end & had to have a brief call to complete, I would bill as telehealth. If they tried and it never worked, I would bill as telephone encounter. I can't imagine this happens very often, and would rather err on the side of caution and bill telephone when maybe for 1 or 2 visits I would have gotten an extra $20. If I do hear any official word in this, I will update.

Just my opinion - I would advise my provider to document the technology failure and that the majority of the visit was completed via video before the technical difficulties occurred in the note as well.

Our providers are also asking if they can bill for after hours/saturdays on Televisits? - 99050 or 99051. I didn't find these on CMS or UHC's list of allowed codes, but I was curious what other practices were doing.