Wiki telephone only cpt codes

jbhuju

Guru
Best answers
hello all,
since audio only codes 99441-99443 will no longer be in use after PHE, i have seen code G0071 for medicare FQHC and G2012/G2252 for other commercial?
please advice which code to use specially if you are FQHC.

thank you

here is some info I found ( AAFP article link ) (emphasis added by me):

Telehealth. CMS greatly expanded the services that can be provided via telehealth in response to the COVID-19 public health emergency (PHE). This year we are getting a clearer picture of what Medicare telehealth services may look like after the PHE.

CMS has added some services to its official telehealth list5 on a Category 3 (temporary) basis and some on a Category 1 (permanent) basis. Category 3 additions will be on the list through the end of 2023 or 151 days after the PHE ends, whichever is later. Several emotional/behavior assessment, psychological, and neuropsychological testing and evaluation services have been added to the list as Category 3 items. The newly finalized prolonged services codes G0316- G0318 and the chronic pain management codes G3002 and G3003 are on the list as Category 1 items.

CMS will also continue to allow audio-only (i.e., telephone) services to be billed as telehealth temporarily. But following the 151-day post-PHE extension period, CMS will once again assign the telephone E/M services (CPT codes 99441-99443) a “bundled” status, which means Medicare will no longer separately pay for them.

For allowable audio-only services, clinicians will have the option to append either Medicare modifier FQ, “Medicare telehealth service was furnished using audio-only communication technology,” or CPT modifier 93, “Synchronous telemedicine service rendered via telephone or other real-time interactive audio-only telecommunications system.” Clinicians will continue to use modifier FR on applicable claims when required to be present through an interactive real-time audio and video telecommunications link, as reflected in each service’s requirements.

Until the end of 2023 or the end of the year in which the PHE ends (whichever comes later), clinicians should continue to append CPT modifier 95, “Synchronous telemedicine service rendered via a real-time interactive audio and video telecommunications system” and use the place of service (POS) code reflecting where the service would have been furnished had it been in-person. CMS will continue to pay at the rate corresponding to that POS, which will typically be the higher “non-facility” rate.

Keep in mind that telephone codes will be covered for at least 5 months after the PHE ends (whenever that happens).

thank you all for information :) so still on 2023 untill PHE ends w ecan still use that audio only cpt codes correct. and after that do we use G0071, G2012, G2252 or just use regular E & M code with modifier 93 or FQ .