Wiki Thoughts on Athena EMR System for Orthopedic Practice?

KStaten

Guru
Best answers
Hello Everyone! :)

From a coder's/biller's standpoint, what are your thoughts on Athena for an orthopedic/ neurological practice? I have heard mixed reviews. I have no experience with it myself, but my concern is that they combined with GE Centricity-- which I have worked on and have found to be entirely frustrating. Pros and Cons would be very helpful. :) I posted a similar question a while back, but would appreciate any additional input. (ALSO, any suggestions on other EMR systems would also be welcomed and appreciated!)

Thank you in advance! :)
Kim

I have worked on Nextgen, Cerner and Athena. Nextgen will give everyone using it carpal tunnel since double clicking a thousand or more times a day is required. But I liked the fact I could enter the charges for a complicated surgery and move the entire line up or down for RVU order. Stay away from Cerner at all costs. For coding/billing Athena is good. It's not as user friendly as Nextgen but a million times better than Cerner. I'm sure others will be able to give you additional information but this is just my experience.

Thank you! I appreciate the input. I have heard all negative reviews from Cerner, as well. I am just hoping that Athena doesn't have any of the similar "bugs" as GE Centricity. For instance, by clicking on a Dx code to see the full description (since the field is not expandable in Centricity) it sometimes (not always) randomly changes the code above/beneath it to the same exact code. Or, by pressing Enter, rather than Tab, can cause it show up correctly in the system, but not be visible on the HCFA. Of course, that is avoidable in the future once that glitch is discovered, but it doesn't seem at all rational to me. 🤷‍♀️

Thank you! I appreciate the input. I have heard all negative reviews from Cerner, as well. I am just hoping that Athena doesn't have any of the similar "bugs" as GE Centricity. For instance, by clicking on a Dx code to see the full description (since the field is not expandable in Centricity) it sometimes (not always) randomly changes the code above/beneath it to the same exact code. Or, by pressing Enter, rather than Tab, can cause it show up correctly in the system, but not be visible on the HCFA. Of course, that is avoidable in the future once that glitch is discovered, but it doesn't seem at all rational to me. 🤷‍♀️
No, Athena will not change the diagnosis code. If you enter a partial code or type in a diagnosis it will pull up all the codes until you can narrow down which one you need. It takes a bit of time, but it works. There will always be significant pros and cons of any EMR.

I like Athena from a front desk/ front office perspective. User friendly. Having Athena work your billing can be hit or miss, need to keep an eye on that. Clinically ok, Providers feel it is a little click heavy, but clinical flow staff don't mind it much.

Is anyone using the new version of eClinicalworks, and if so, what are the pros and cons? And, if you've had experience with both-- Athena and eClinical-- How does that compare with Athena? THANKS!