Wiki tips for passing the cpc exam!

Know your modifiers

Know the modifiers..I was able to elminate alot of wrong answers by modifiers and diagnosis codes. Even if I was learly on the procedure codes. elminating the wrong answers is key.:eek:

boyced is right! I found out after the exam (from AAPC) that there are always 1 or 2 questions that are easily eliminated as a possible answer. If there is an answer that is in a completely different chapter than all the other answers, eliminate it first. Most likely, it is not an answer. Don't spend too much time on any one answer. That is easier said than done but if you look up an answer, and everything seems correct, just go with it.

Also, write a lot of notes in your books. I was scared to do this because I was "warned" that I would not be allowed to take the exam if I had too much written. This is NOT true, you can write an awful lot in there! Just use your blank pages and any extra space that you can find that will help you quickly. The person looking through your book before the exam is only going to look for any loose or stapled in papers. They do not have time to look through every single page and they won't even try. This is not cheating as you are provided a lot of space in your books for this purpose.

Do not memorize definitions anatomy, you will not be asked questions like that. I wasted a lot of time doing this.

Last but not least, KNOW YOUR GUIDELINES!!! Re-read them over and over again and tab any pages that you use frequently. All of my books are tabbed with the alphabet, code numbers, and anything else helpful to me. And I passed on my first try. Good luck!

I took my exam on Nov 16th and just found out yesterday that I passed! My suggestions would be to Tab your books. It's all about being quick, and when the important sections in your manuals are tabbed you can find what you need quickly.
Unlike slpavlik4 I did have anatomy in my exam. It wasn't extensive, but basic knowledge of Anatomy will not only be helpful in the anatomy section but just for coding in general.
I know this seems odd, but I wore earplugs during my exam and I think it helped me a lot. It blocked out all of the little noises (paper shuffling etc.) to the point I was able to stay completely focused the whole entire time. I also sat at the front of the classroom so that I wasn't distracted by any other test takers.
I also suggest the practice exams from the AAPC. I took all three of them multiple times prior to taking the real exam. They are similar to the exam and in my case I felt like they were actually more difficult than the real exam itself.
Good luck! Just stay calm and focused during the exam and you will be able to do it!

This question gets asked all of the time. If you search the forum you will find lots of tips. Here are my favorite tips

1. Bring water and some quiet snacks. When I took my test I brought some string cheese and some mint candy. It is important to stay hydrated and nourished.

2. A passing score is 70%. There are 150 questions. If you get 105 questions correct, you score 70%. In other words, you can miss 45 questions and still pass. No one question is that important to your sucess or failure. If the answer is not easily apparent don't spend 15 minutes on it. Make a note of it and move on. If you have time at the end, come back to it.

3. Answer every question. If you are running out of time, guess. You have a 25% chance of guessing right. An unanswered question is wrong 100% of the time.

4. Relax and don't forget to breathe. ;)

I took a couple of days off of work to relax before the test. Also, I went through and did the areas I knew best first and did the areas I wasn't as comfortable with last. The modifiers tip is spot on too.