Wiki Ultrasonic-Assisted Liposuction

Jarant

Best answers
I am trying to code for a patient that is having ultrasonic assisted liposuction of the abdomen, flank, hips, and back. Is this the same as cpt codes 15876-15879- suction assisted lipectomy? I do not think so but I can not find a code for ultrasonic assisted liposuction. Any help would be great. I do not code much for plastic surgery.

Thanks,
Jenny,CPC

Water-jet-assistaed Liposuction

Hi Jenny,

I know this was an old post. Just wondering did you ever find out what CPT code to use for the Ultrasonic-Assisted Liposuction. Now I am facing the same question for a water-jet-assisted Lipo. Thank you very much for your help!

Angeline

There is only four liposuction codes by body part. They do not differentiate by WAL, PAL, US or technique. Just one code. Technically I would be sure all documentation concerning treating lipedema as tumescent, lymph-sparing liposuction. That covers it well enough. There are a couple of studies that specifically reference WAL. Again, only one code.

Anthem Blue Cross CA reimburses for liposuction for lipedema: NC00009; Cosmetic and Reconstructive Services Published 11/12/2019.

Numerous board-certified plastic surgeons have filed medical insurance claims for lymph-sparing, tumescent liposuction and been reimbursed including: Dr David Gruener, NY, Marcia V. Byrd, M.D., GA, Gayle Gordillo, MD, IN, and Dr. David Amron, CA. Unfortunately no one has been able to give me any specifics.

In a 2017 review of reimbursement for 27 advanced, disabled lipedema patients who underwent lymph-saving tumescent, liposuction, 6 were approved and 4 were paid after multiple appeals ([about 30%] source: Aug 2 2017 Fatdisorders.org presentation on reimbursement).

There are currently (FEB 2020) "Bad Faith / breach of contract" suits in California against about a half-dozen insurance companies on behalf of patients with lipedema who were denied coverage for reconstructive, tumescent, lymph-sparing liposuction. It is expected that most will change their policies as a result and reimburse based on the reconstructive surgery conditions listed above.