Wiki ultrasound guided nerve blocks

cbunti

Best answers
One of our physicians recently attended a seminar and was under the impression that we can bill for ultrasound guidance for nerve blocks. Can anyone help me with the correct CPT code for the US?

This may not need to be said but if your physician does NOT own the ultrasound machine you will need to append the -26 modifier (professional component only).

Julie, CPC

also check the documentation / permanent recorded images requirements in the CPT Diagnostic Ultrasound section guidelines

Dr. just did brachial plexus nerve block using ultrasound; there is no report. It is my understanding that ultrasound guidance needs an actual "photo" of the ultrasound in addition to either a separate ultrasound note or documentation within the procedure note describing the localization/guidance procedure. Is that correct? If that criteria is met, 76942-26 is appropriate (26 modifier since we do not own the equipment)? THANKS!

We have not started with the ultrasound, but looks like we will soon. From my research the only requirement was a seperate note from the anes doc. Again I am unsure as we have not officially started using the ultrasound.