• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten the password it can be reset on our sign in section by entering your registered Email Address or Username here. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..

unsure whether to continue with medical coding

For context, I went to school for medical billing & coding and got my CPC-a certification in March of 2026. Since then, I have been searching for any medical job that could get me the experience I need to work towards a medical coding/billing role, but have had no luck. With the end of the year coming up, I am debating whether to give up completely on this career. I don't want to pay for the membership and keep the certification if its useless and doesn't help me. But I'm also conflicted since i spent a lot of time and money just to get to this point. Any advice is appreciated.
 
You are not alone. I passed my CPC in Oct. 2025 and the only job I've landed was as Client Service Rep, which is basically a receptionist who verifies insurances. Zero coding at all. I keep applying to everything as well as hoping that something will open up in the revenue cycle department at my company. The sad truth is that no one will hire me without coding experience and yet I can't get experience unless they hire me. (they don't count Practicode as experience) I've decided to give it another year and then make a decision whether or not to renew my membership.
 
Top