upgrade from single chamber ICD to dual chamber ICD

denisek1028

Networker
Best answers
Just need to confirm that I am correct. My provider removed a single chamber ICD and inserted a dual chamber ICD and also a new lead. Would we use the combined removal and replace code of 33263? Would we also bill for the addition of the new lead?

Thank you!

Denise

Casper204

New
Best answers
I work for an EP group and see this kind of case a lot. You can't code 33263 with 33216. Because he added a lead it would be coded 33249 and 33241-51. 33249 covers the insertion of the new generator and the addition of the lead and 33241 covers the removal.

Cristine Ward, CPC

twizzle

True Blue
Best answers
I work for an EP group and see this kind of case a lot. You can't code 33263 with 33216. Because he added a lead it would be coded 33249 and 33241-51. 33249 covers the insertion of the new generator and the addition of the lead and 33241 covers the removal.

Cristine Ward, CPC

Yes, I agree with Casper204. The generator change codes are really only used when no lead placement is performed. As soon as you add a (right) lead it becomes a complete system. An exception would be if a generator was replaced and an LV lead was added then you would use the appropriate generator change code and 33225.

CodingKing

True Blue
Best answers
I'd like to add a second, I concur with Casper204 and why

There is really a handy 3 column table in the CPT book. Once of the option is conversion from single chamber to dial chamber. The 2 columns describe the codes for a Pacemaker or ICD. Under ICD column it says 33249 + 33241.

I really love the charts in the CPT book, It makes these types of situations so much easier.

Best answers
Yes, I agree with Casper204. The generator change codes are really only used when no lead placement is performed. As soon as you add a (right) lead it becomes a complete system. An exception would be if a generator was replaced and an LV lead was added then you would use the appropriate generator change code and 33225.

This is for a changing a system to biventricular system, not just for a normal upgrading of single chamber to dual chamber. For a normal upgrading use 33241+33249 - Upgrade single chamber system to dual chamber system