Wiki Ureteral stent

lisagsisk

Best answers
Van you use a V55.6 code to denote the presence of a ureteral stent? Thanks in advance for any suggestions?:confused

I would think not as this is "attention to artificial openings" like a nephrostomy tube; I use V53.6 to remove or replace the ureteral stent and V07.8 when my doc places it.

I would agree with using V53.6 for placement and/or removal. I haven't seen V07.8 used before and in my opinion don't see the need to use that code. You could also use 939.9 - foreign body GU unspec. site or 939.0 foreign body GU bladder/urethra.

To address the initial question, using codes from V55 series for a ureteral stent would not apply since they are codes for attention to artifical openings, and there is no artificial opening with a ureteral stent.

Ureteral Stent Exchange/Change

In searching the Urology threads, ran across this question. My question is, with ICD-10, what diagnosis code would you assign to a stent exchange? Information received from supervisor is T19.1XXA, Z46.6 - then 3rd the reason for the stent to begin with ... like hydronephrosis, etc. Thanks for any help!!