Wiki Urinary tract infection and Symptoms - Nausea/Vomiting

Best answers
Hi All,

Can anyone here let me know whether we can code nausea and vomiting along with Urinary tract infection(Unspecified).

ICD-10 CM guidelines states signs and symptoms cannot be coded with integral part of disease condition. Is it applicable to unspecified urinary tract infection? Where Physician has not specified further whether the patient is having upper urinary tract infections, which involve the kidneys (pyelonephritis) or lower tract infections, which involve the bladder (cystitis), urethra (urethritis), and prostate (prostatitis).

As per merck manual Nausea and vomiting is a specific symptom of pyelonephritis and cystitis.

Regards,
Ummer

Last edited:
UTI symptoms:

•A burning feeling when you urinate
•A frequent or intense urge to urinate, even though little comes out when you do
•Pain or pressure in your back or lower abdomen
•Cloudy, dark, bloody, or strange-smelling urine
•Feeling tired or shaky
•Fever or chills (a sign the infection may have reached your kidneys)

With that said not knowing if the patient has pyelonephritis and cystitis you can't assume. I would code the signs and symptoms to convey the complexity of the patients visit.

Thanks for your guidance

Thanks for your guidance Stephanie moore

UTI symptoms:

•A burning feeling when you urinate
•A frequent or intense urge to urinate, even though little comes out when you do
•Pain or pressure in your back or lower abdomen
•Cloudy, dark, bloody, or strange-smelling urine
•Feeling tired or shaky
•Fever or chills (a sign the infection may have reached your kidneys)

With that said not knowing if the patient has pyelonephritis and cystitis you can't assume. I would code the signs and symptoms to convey the complexity of the patients visit.