Wiki Urine Drug Screen

tlwright70

Networker
Best answers
Hello,

I am trying to find a diagnosis code to use with an initial urine drug screen. I can't use any diagnosis codes for use, abuse, or dependence since it is the initial drug screen before the patient is given the medication. Does anyone have any suggestions for an ICD 10 code for the initial drug screen.

Thanks

Hi there, do you have the LCD/article or payer policy?

I can only speak to UDT for chronic opioid therapy but typically codes for the condition that is causing the chronic pain are covered.

Yes, I do. There doesn't seem to be a code on there for an initial. In terms of initial, you would think there would be screening codes allowed, but it doesn't seem to have them listed on their article.

Hi There :)
Urine drug screen can be linked to dx R80-R82.5 and R82 with Z01.89 or Z04.89 or Z13.9 or Z13. 39 . Dx R82 can be used if discovered abnormal crap in urine. Also dx R78 for blood testing checking for drugs and dx Z02.83.If doc is checking for certain substance abuse chemicals. Add the dx alcohol use F10, other psych drugs dx F19, or dx F11 cocaine, or dx F12 cannabis, Etc. You can use unspecify dx because provider is trying to figure out what is in the body fluids. Also the lab results give you a clue ...I believe most staff do not bill lab codes until get results. But the provider s notations should tell you why he or she is testing patient's body fluids. If we do not know we do the Z codes screen or Z01.89 . Also at times our docs/providers send a letter or document a phone call to tell patient results of lab tests.
Well I hope this data helps you:)
Lady T

Hi
Here is more data ...
Drug Screening urine CPT 82565 84600 dx R82.79 F12, F19, F10, Z01.89 ,Z04.89 per provider s documentation or lab results

Drug Screening blood CPT 82565 84600 dx R78 , F17, F19, F16 Z02.83 per provider s documentation or lab results