Wiki Use of 99000

Anna Weaver

Best answers
I would like some opinions please!!
When would you use 99000 code for handling laboratory specimens. I have been told that if everything is supplied by the laboratory (i.e. tubes, vacutainers, needles, urine cups, slides etc.) and everything goes back to the laboatory, then there would be no charges for handling, but you would be able to charge for the lab draw 36415 only. But if labs are being drawn, prepared, packaged and mailed to another laboratory (another city or state), then the 99000 should be charged.
Any response would be appreciated. I know this is one of those controversial codes and some use it and some don't.

I'll take a shot...

"But if labs are being drawn, prepared, packaged and mailed to another laboratory (another city or state), then the 99000 should be charged."

I have been told/trained that this method would be acceptable for billing 99000 since there is a cost to the practice (assuming the supplies aren't provided and the cost of shipping isn't already paid). That's one scenerio.

The other scenerio...IMHO...would be if if the practice employs a courier to transport the specimen.