Wiki UTI's/Hx of UTI's and Chronic Cystitis?

LAT93

Contributor
Best answers
I'm look for some guidance here regarding documentation for the diagnoses in the subject line.

My providers tend to code N30.20 - other chronic cystitis w/o hematuria when documentation states something along the line of: pt seen in consultation for recurrent UTI's, they state a few of the symptoms and frequency of UTI's.

Is this enough to code chronic cystitis? It has been a subject of conversation between all of our coders and some say yes, code N30.20 and other's say no and to only code N39.0 or other symptoms that are documented e.g R82.71, R30.0 etc.
The following is a comment I received by a coder: "It is well known in coding that recurring UTI or chronic UTIS can be linked as Chronic Cystitis so an auditor would not ding that doctor for documenting as UTI."

I believe providers should document their thought process in arriving to N30.20 when they only document N39.0 or symptoms. For example when the N30.20 is being coded for the first time, should their be a clear link? and then from then on documentation should be " pt w/ chronic cystitis"?

Can I please get some insight/guidance to this? Thank you in advance!

Last edited: