Wiki V70.0

Daniele1

Contributor
Best answers
When a patient comes for a well exam, the doctor orders the yearly labs-lipids, tsh, etc. Our doctors like to use this code, V70.0 ( for the labs). I have been told by other coders in my department, that you can't use that diagnosis code along. But, I don't understand the reasoning behind it. can someone guide me to a website that I can research it and provide document to the doctor to support the reasoning?
Thank you for the help: :confused:

labs ordered with V70.0 - I totally agree that if labs

Hi - Yes, I totally agree that if labs are ordered with V70.0 and they are part of the patient's "yearly" physical that it is appropriated to use V72.62.
The reason why is because V70.0 is reserved only for the office visit only for the patient's "routine general medical examination at a health care facility". Anything above that would be provided its own code. Like a pap smear or HPV screening or mammogram or colonoscopy or even lab test ordered part of the patient's yearly physical.
Thanks,
Dana Chock CPC, CCA, CANPC, CHONC
Anesthesia, Pathology, & Laboratory Coder

Let me find the concrete black & white documentation you can take to your provider to help educate them. I just need to look for it. Please give me a day or two. Mondays are crazy for me at work.

Screening Labs

Here in the Pacific Northwest, most payers will cover "CPE" labs with a V70.0 with the exception of Medicare and some MedAdvantage plans.

You might want check with individual payers as to what they will accept for a dx codes for these labs.