Wiki Vaginal delivery converted to c-section

JJOHN0312

Networker
Best answers
Does anyone know if a patient comes in for delivery and is induced has complications and they have to take patient for c-section, would both procedures be coded or just the c-section? I know they are different root operations? Any help is appreciated. Please send any references.

Thank you!

Josie

Inpatient Coder, CIC

It is noted that when a "closed" approach is converted to "open", bill for the open only.

(AAPC: Healthcare Business Monthly Archive December 1, 2013 ....The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) instructs us that when a procedure begins by laparoscopic approach, but must be converted to (and completed by) open approach, only the open approach is coded.)

I would code the C-section for Facility. The complication diagnostic code will reflect the reason for the C-Section. On the Physician side, the coder should have a CPT code that describes SVD converted to C-Section (If I recall correctly, when I was coding professional services only, there was a 5000 code describing this scenario). Hope this all helps. :)

Last edited:
Vag Delvery converted to C-section

I'm not an experienced IP coder; however, based on your description of the events, I would code the labor induction and the c-section, if both procedures were done. The ICD-10-CM diagnosis code would capture the reason for doing the c-section instead of a vaginal delivery.

ICD-10-PCS Index shows the following:

Induction of Labor

Artificial rupture of membranes see Drainage, Pregnancy 109
Oxycontin see Introduction of Hormone

Question: would she have gone into labor without the induction?

Vickie Wilkerson
Secretary 2016
AAPC-Richardson Chapter

For PCS ----- We need to code only C- section delivery.

For CPT -----IF patient have previous C- section and vaginal delivery attempted but finally C section done we need code 59618-59622 CPT code.

Regards
Dr.Ramnath Bandaru, CCS, CPC
American Medical Services LLC
http://amshealth.com/
Twitter: @HospitalCoders