Wiki vasectomy

nkorab

Best answers
WE use the diagnosis code Z30.2 for a vasectomy. When I look in the AAPC !CD-10 code book- there is a code descriptor
next to it- that says code exempt from diagnosis present on admission. based on ICD-10-CM official guidelines.
Does anyone know what this means?

Thanks
Nancy K

It means if you are billing as a facility for inpatient you don't need to use a POA code. Otherwise it does not apply to you.

Sorry, I am confused. What does POA stand for?
we do the vasectomy in the office.

Thank you
Nancy

I still do not understand POA. the description does not make sense to me.
Sorry, not trying to be difficult.
Nancy

Guidelines state: POA exempt codes are exempt because they represent circumstances regarding the healthcare encounter or factors influencing health status that do not represent a current disease or injury OR are always present on admission.

https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Ed...k-MLN/MLNMattersArticles/downloads/MM5499.pdf

There is a list of categories/codes in the guidelines. Reviewing the list might make more sense after reading the MLN article.

I still do not understand POA. the description does not make sense to me.
Sorry, not trying to be difficult.
Nancy

POA only applies to hospital inpatient claim coding. For quality reporting purposes, hospitals are required to identify whether or not a diagnosis was already in existence at the time of admission (POA = Yes), or whether the condition developed during the time the patient was in the facility (POA = No). For example, if the patient had a pressure sore prior to admission or developed the pressure sore after being admitted. It's information that is gathered from the hospital for purposes of monitoring how well hospital prevent patients from developing complications while they are being treated in that facility. It's a rather complicated subject that has a lot of impact on how hospitals are paid, but if you're not coding inpatient hospital claims, it's not anything that you need to be concerned about as it has no effect on the coding of outpatient or office services.