Wiki What order do I put the diagnosis?

tpayne129

New
Best answers
We have a patient who is having a celiac plexus block today 64530. The patient has been diagnosed with left upper quadrant pain R10.12 and chronic pancreatitis K86.1. Which diagnosis code do I list first? I think the left upper quadrant pain but the doctor says Chronic pancreatitis. Please help!!

If the left upper quadrant pain is due to the pancreatitis, then you will not code the pain at all you code only the pancreatitis.

You would code the pain first & then the pancreatitis in this case. For pain management procedures only, you code the pain first & then the cause. It's in the guidelines.

You would code the pain first & then the pancreatitis in this case. For pain management procedures only, you code the pain first & then the cause. It's in the guidelines.

You code the pain first when using a G89 code for the pain. Since the pain is documented as acute and there is no code for acute pain due to other reasons you will have no code for the pain. To say LUQ pain along with with the pancreatitis is not necessary, the pain would be LUQ pain.