Wiki What's your ICD-10 Favorite?

Pam Warren

True Blue
Best answers
Hi, everyone, I wanted to ask each of you which ICD-10-CM code you've identified within your own specialties that you're most excited to begin using....because it's such an improvement on ICD-9-CM, or because it has such an impact from either a medical necessity or revenue perspective. I'm doing a short presentation for our revenue folks, and wanted to get some feedback from other coders in the industry. I'd prefer not to hear any of the V-Y codes, please; those are entertaining, but not what I wanted to showcase. For me, it's the use of Z23; Immunization, and no longer having to provide the V code for "Need for immunization" by type. It makes it so much easier for our clinical staff. Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, everyone, I wanted to ask each of you which ICD-10-CM code you've identified within your own specialties that you're most excited to begin using....because it's such an improvement on ICD-9-CM, or because it has such an impact from either a medical necessity or revenue perspective. I'm doing a short presentation for our revenue folks, and wanted to get some feedback from other coders in the industry. I'd prefer not to hear any of the V-Y codes, please; those are entertaining, but not what I wanted to showcase. For me, it's the use of Z23; Immunization, and no longer having to provide the V code for "Need for immunization" by type. It makes it so much easier for our clinical staff. Thanks for your feedback.

I like R45.2 for unhappiness and R45.81 for worries. Hopefully these will put a stop to inappropriate overuse of the equivalent to 311. There was never a code for depression although 311 is often used for that purpose, the equivalent to 311 is the code for major depressive disorder.

I like the exam codes that include abnormal findings (Z00.01, Z00.121,
Z01.411).

It just seems to me to be a more logical way to express a well + sick visit. Cleaner, somehow

Plus, Z53.21 for LWBS visits. Unfortunately, my clinic has way too many of these

Coming from a laboratory billing office, I do not have access to physician's notes, only what is written on the requisitions so.... any COMPLETE diagnosis code makes me happy!:)