Wiki Which Carol J. Buck book?

kgray76

Contributor
Best answers
Which Carol J. Buck book did you use for the CPC exam? I have found a couple and not sure what the difference is. The main two I found was the Step-By-Step Medical Coding book and the Physician Coding Exam Review 2013 book. What are the differences and which one helped you pass the exam? Any insight would be great.

Kelley

Which Carol Buck book

:) Hello! I have found that 'STEP BY STEP' is a must have desk reference for every professional. I would definitely study the Physician Coding Exam Review 2013 book by Carol Buck. Between that and reading all of your guidelines, you should be "good"..... best of luck!
~Sunni Hearin-CPC, CEMC

Both books are excellent. The Step-By-Step series are just that, a detailed explanation of all the steps, guidelines and instructions necessary to code. This is great for someone learning coding without prior experience. The Exam Review book is more of a high level review and is better for those with some coding experience that are just needing to prepare for the exam. I like it because it has a lot of lists and is straight to the point.

So...it just depends on what you are wanting out of the book. I do agree with Sunni, the Step-By-Step book is a great resource to always keep handy even after passing the exam!

I am taking the CPC exam this Saturday, May 4th - I have been using the Physician Coding Exam Review 2013 - as previously mentioned, it is right to the point - they use outline form which is great. No fluff. I am reading each chapter and making notes into the CPT or ICD-9. My instructor also recommended it. I wish that I had used it the first time that I took the exam. Also, I think that taking practice test after practice test is the way to go. After all, it is an open book - but time is the issue - you have to be able to move fast. I think that is the key. Good luck studying.:)