Question Wound Packing without I&D by different provider

LPou1003

Contributor
Best answers
I have a patient that had an I&D by a different provider, in fact a different health system all together. My doc saw this patient for repacking/dressing change. Anyone have a clue what CPT code I could use for this other than E/M?

Please include a redacted note for review in order for assistance. :) Documentation is key. Typically, repacking/dressing change is billed with and E/M code; however, if wound care was performed than CPT codes 97597, 97598 may apply.

Please include a redacted note for review in order for assistance. :) Documentation is key. Typically, repacking/dressing change is billed with and E/M code; however, if wound care was performed than CPT codes 97597, 97598 may apply.

Patient had I&D of Buttocks abscess done on 9/9/2020 and the below visit is from 9/14/2020. Same provider. The provider's question is: I could not find a procedure for repacking that did not include incision and drainage. The visit would be brief except for the packing.

I know because it is within the 10 day global period, this visit would not be billable separately. Nothing else noted on the diabetes other than what is in the HPI, so I would not add the diagnosis for it.. or can I?
Can you help with the CPT code for the packing or would this also not be billable separately?

History of Present Illness:
1. F/U on abscess
Here for packing. Feeling better. MRSA neg. Now on doxycycline due to nausea on Bactrim.

Reports FBS running under 110. Due for 3 month labs soon.

Physical Exam
Skin - Left buttock area of induration decreased but still large. Wound repacked with several feet of 1/4 inch plain gauze. Small superficial area of purulent drainage medial to the wound.

Assessment/Plan
1. Assessment Left buttock abscess (L02.31).
Patient Plan Continue repacking every 2 day. She has about 10 days of doxycycline left. F/U here before she runs out. Diabetic labs to be done prior to that visit.

Thank you for your help Lara

Leslie P

If this is the same provider/group, this is included in global. There is no way this justifies a -24 modifier. If this is a different provider/group, then I would bill E/M.