Wiki Z00.00 for every follow up

Best answers
Hi,

I work at a clinic and there are a couple of providers that, during a follow-up appointment, will review that vaccines, basic labs and screenings are up to date, and document it similar to this:

Adult health examination - Basic labs: 11/6/17
Colonoscopy: 2/2014, 2 polyps and mild diverticulosis; repeat in 2019
Vaccinations:

Tdap: 2013

Pneumovax: 3/2014

Flu: 10/13/17

HepB, C, and HIV screening: neg

However, they consistently choose Z00.00 as the diagnosis for this part of the visit but I know should only be coded to a Preventive CPT code. Does anyone have any advice as to what other DX codes I can use? Or would this be okay if the problem DXs are listed first and then Z00.00 listed after?

Z00.00 is a first listed only code and cannot be listed secondary. There is no Dx codes to use for the provider to check on those things, since the diagnosis is the patient's and not the providers. If he ordered screening labs you would use screening codes, and so on.

Z00.00 is a first listed only code and cannot be listed secondary. There is no Dx codes to use for the provider to check on those things, since the diagnosis is the patient's and not the providers. If he ordered screening labs you would use screening codes, and so on.

Thanks Debra!

It seems like the providers feel the need to have a relating diagnosis for every topic discussed. For example, when they discuss vaccinations, they will add Z23, even though none was administered, just discussed with the patient.

Since they like to review vaccines are up to date and screening tests are ordered/done during a follow-up visit, can they use a counseling DX like Z76.89 Persons encountering health services in other specified circumstances?