Wiki Z515

Wondering If there is any documentation anywhere to support Z codes not being billed as primary dx?

Some Z codes do get billed as primary diagnoses. Every day, I use codes from Z51.- as the primary diagnosis.

What is the specific issue that you're having a problem with?

Some Z codes do get billed as primary diagnoses. Every day, I use codes from Z51.- as the primary diagnosis.

What is the specific issue that you're having a problem with?
Seeing denials from medicare saying dx codes are invalid and there are 13 dx codes so starting with this one.

Seeing denials from medicare saying dx codes are invalid and there are 13 dx codes so starting with this one.

What services are being billed with it? Perhaps they don't like the diagnosis code with the procedures being billed?

Also, what other diagnosis code is being billed with it? Codes in Z51.- have a Code Also note for the condition requiring care.

There's a reference to a coding clinic under Z51.5 - I don't have access to it right now, but you might find some helpful information if you have Coding Clinic access:

AHA: 2020, 4Q, 98; 2017, 1Q, 48

Hi Johnsna68,
The ICD10 manual explains the first listed Z codes vs lastly listed Z dx codes placed on the claim. This is in front of manual .Most first listed Z dx codes blocks start with Z00, Z01,Z04, or Z51. you should use definitive dx codes first...it helps the algorithms when claim gets processed plus follows the national coding regs per medical specialty. insurance payers like definitive dx first on claim, then Z dx codes follow unless the visit/encounter is a first listed Z dx
I hope this data helps you
Lady T