Wiki Zubco

HoxsieTM

New
Best answers
We are fairly new to orthopaedics coding and billing. One of our providers has indicated he can bill a consult and fracture care and has indicated this meets Zubco documenttion requirements. Can anyone help me with Zubco? I have not heard of this before, is it specific to orthopaedics?
thank you
Tena

I wonder if he's referring to karenzupko.com? All ortho and pretty interesting. I've been to one of their seminars here in Seattle and it was very good.

your docs are correct, a consult can be billed with fracture care with appropriate documentation of both (57 modifier on consult, assuming its a 90 day global case).

This billing is also supported by the AAOS. If you search the ortho forum here, you will find many postings as well as documentation, links etc to this information.

hope this helps,
Mary, CPC, COCS

Can be ... doesn't mean WILL be

Yes, a consult can be billed along with fracture care.

BUT ... This does not mean that every encounter with a patient presenting with a fracture will automatically be a consult. It might be a new (or established) patient.

Of course, any E/M service that is coded along with fracture care needs to have supporting documentation. And don't forget your -57 modifier.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC