Coder11NY

Contributor
Best answers
Hello and Happy New Year! I'm sitting for the CPC Exam on April 9 2016! I have my RCC and my ICD 10 proficiency credential and ive been coding for 7 years. I have a few co-workers who are not coders that took the exam and passed and gave me the following tips: study the guidelines in the front of the ICD-10 and CPT books, take timed practice tests, really understand late effect vs Initial conditions, diabetes, HIV.....what else am I missing? I have 2 kids under 2 so studying is tight and every second counts for me. Any help would be appreciated!

Diagnostic coding is fairly minimal in CPC exam. 10 ICD questions and some ICD codes in the answers of the CPT questions (sometimes the DX is the tie breaker)

You will need to read more than just the front of the CPT book. The guidelines that you will be testing on are throughout the CPT book mingled in with the codes and in the color pages before each section. I don't know how many one could pass without much CPT coding knowledge or training.

CodingKing: I have 7 years experience coding, I'm just trying to get the most out of my studying. Where does one start with 7 years experience is my problem? I know how to code, I know guidelines and I can read. My question was what should I focus my time on.

The exam does not test you on how well you can code. It tests you on how well you can determine which of the 4 choices is the correct answer. With 7 years of experience, your biggest challenge will be to not try and code the questions. Work backwards, look up the CPT or ICD-10 and determine which choice best fits the question. If you try and actually code the question like you would do in your job, there is a possibility that what you come up with isn't one of the choices.

Pay attention to time management. I have no hard data to support this, but I suspect the #1 reason an experienced coder would fail this exam would be due to running out of time.

Know your anatomy & physiology and medical terminology. These 2 sections should be the easiest sections on the exam.

Thank you EspressoGuy....that pretty much was what I was told from my co workers. And that's how I pretty much took the I-10 Proficiency exam as well: went right to the answer then looked at the question, passed no problem. I think what I may do is do a practice test, see where my weaknesses are and then focus on that. Thank you again!

Test March 26th

How do you best manage your time when the test is 5 1/2 hr long where should you be half way for example? Thanks::confused:

I highly recommend against using the "one hour per column" trick.

1) It may not work if the test is constructed in such a way that the easiest sections (or easiest sections for you) are first

2) This "method" also does not count for fatigue at the 3-hour mark; you WILL get slower and slower (and your bladder will get faster and faster) as the test progresses

3) it forces you to watch the clock instead of focusing on the test

4) finally (and this point is admittedly subjective), focusing on the clock is an indication that you are just not strong enough with the material

Just take the damn thing, be confident in your training and experience, and use your "rule outs." Stop worrying about paralyzing minutiae

My comments in bold

I highly recommend against using the "one hour per column" trick.

1) It may not work if the test is constructed in such a way that the easiest sections (or easiest sections for you) are first

I found that each section had easy questions. The last column and a half were extremely fast giving you more time to go to the questions that were tough and skipped the first time. Not skipping is another thing that will hinder you on the test. I was amazed at how many people only had half their answer sheets filled out when I walked out at the 5 hour point (most of mine was done by hour 4 except a couple IVR questions I left for the end)

2) This "method" also does not count for fatigue at the 3-hour mark; you WILL get slower and slower (and your bladder will get faster and faster) as the test progresses

If you are well rested and had a good breakfast you can go without running out of steam. If you take time to drink then yes your bladder will fill up.

3) it forces you to watch the clock instead of focusing on the test

Timer on a digital wrist watch takes less than a second to look at and see the time remaining. I had to look at the exam book to turn the pages and my wrist was easy to see. Now relying on a clock in the room, turning your head, would not be a good idea.

4) finally (and this point is admittedly subjective), focusing on the clock is an indication that you are just not strong enough with the material

Its all subjective. Digesting by taking in bite sized pieces is much easier than stuffing a steak down your throat. Time management which is a good skill to have and has no reflection on anyone's knowledge in the content. Its just a smart test taking skill.

Just take the damn thing, be confident in your training and experience, and use your "rule outs." Stop worrying about paralyzing minutiae

Anatomy question

The exam does not test you on how well you can code. It tests you on how well you can determine which of the 4 choices is the correct answer. With 7 years of experience, your biggest challenge will be to not try and code the questions. Work backwards, look up the CPT or ICD-10 and determine which choice best fits the question. If you try and actually code the question like you would do in your job, there is a possibility that what you come up with isn't one of the choices.

Pay attention to time management. I have no hard data to support this, but I suspect the #1 reason an experienced coder would fail this exam would be due to running out of time.

Know your anatomy & physiology and medical terminology. These 2 sections should be the easiest sections on the exam.

What type of anatomy and physiology questions will be on there? What section can I find it in the book?

Medicaid

Do anyone know of there will be questions about Medicaid, or payment questions? If so what sections can I find it in, in the book?

How did it go?

Hello and Happy New Year! I'm sitting for the CPC Exam on April 9 2016! I have my RCC and my ICD 10 proficiency credential and ive been coding for 7 years. I have a few co-workers who are not coders that took the exam and passed and gave me the following tips: study the guidelines in the front of the ICD-10 and CPT books, take timed practice tests, really understand late effect vs Initial conditions, diabetes, HIV.....what else am I missing? I have 2 kids under 2 so studying is tight and every second counts for me. Any help would be appreciated!

HI there! How did your exam go? Did you pass? Any tips now that you've taken it?
AC

AAPC Exam Thoughts

Hello! I sat for the CPC, second time on May 7, waiting for results now. I have 2 years at a gastro office coding hospital and office encounters. I also completed a program at my community college. My first shot in March, I completely ran out of time and had about 30 questions I had to fill in blankly. I failed with a 60%.
LOOK UP THE ANSWERS FIRST. Don't bother reading the questions first, for the long cases and what not. My second time around I finished with about 45 minutes remaining and I was able to look back over all my questions.
Be aware of HCSPCS guidelines for colonoscopy and colon screenings. Know what your Z codes are for and how to use them. As others have said, med term and anatomy should be a breeze for you. I did that section first. KNOW YOUR BOOKS. Know where things are, tab whatever you need. You are welcome to write notes in any of your books - hilighters are also your BFF. I used this to my advantage heavily in the critical care and EM sections. You'll waste a ton of time going through tables and finding those tables.

Be familiar with your modifiers, especially for radiology and professional / technical components. I had a few of those questions, and they tripped me up a little!

I highly recommend purchasing the practice exams and the study guide book from AAPC. This is more about test taking psychology and quickly pulling out wrong answers than it really is in ability to code. I'll keep you guys posted on my results. Hopefully I passed because I don't think I have another $350 to shell out anytime soon ???

Passed CPC Exam???

Hello! I sat for the CPC, second time on May 7, waiting for results now. I have 2 years at a gastro office coding hospital and office encounters. I also completed a program at my community college. My first shot in March, I completely ran out of time and had about 30 questions I had to fill in blankly. I failed with a 60%.
LOOK UP THE ANSWERS FIRST. Don't bother reading the questions first, for the long cases and what not. My second time around I finished with about 45 minutes remaining and I was able to look back over all my questions.
Be aware of HCSPCS guidelines for colonoscopy and colon screenings. Know what your Z codes are for and how to use them. As others have said, med term and anatomy should be a breeze for you. I did that section first. KNOW YOUR BOOKS. Know where things are, tab whatever you need. You are welcome to write notes in any of your books - hilighters are also your BFF. I used this to my advantage heavily in the critical care and EM sections. You'll waste a ton of time going through tables and finding those tables.

Be familiar with your modifiers, especially for radiology and professional / technical components. I had a few of those questions, and they tripped me up a little!

I highly recommend purchasing the practice exams and the study guide book from AAPC. This is more about test taking psychology and quickly pulling out wrong answers than it really is in ability to code. I'll keep you guys posted on my results. Hopefully I passed because I don't think I have another $350 to shell out anytime soon ???

Hi!!! Did you pass the exam?

I highly recommend purchasing the practice exams and the study guide book from AAPC. This is more about test taking psychology and quickly pulling out wrong answers than it really is in ability to code. I'll keep you guys posted on my results. Hopefully I passed because I don't think I have another $350 to shell out anytime soon ???[]

Starting new

I am studying for the October test and I know some about how to look codes up but in the ICD 10 when it says See Section I.C.6.b.1....where is that?:confused:

I am studying for the October test and I know some about how to look codes up but in the ICD 10 when it says See Section I.C.6.b.1....where is that?:confused:

HI Tammymanes- It is referring to the front of the book if you want to look up the guidelines associated with the code.
ICD-10CM Page 49 Section I.
"C" stands for Section C which is Chapter Specific Coding that starts on page 51.
"6" stands for Chapter 6 which you can flip to and find on page 56, second column.
"b" leads you to the notes under the chapter that are written after "b. Pain- Category G89"
and "1." guides you to read that first paragraph under "b." 1. General Coding Information

:rolleyes::cool::cool:

Waiting on Results

I took my 2nd CPC exam on 09/24/2016-I feel really good about the test, I wasn't nearly as nervous as the 1st one. Waiting is killing me.