Wiki add on code 99459

Good morning, I get that the note needs to state chaperone present. My question is, what if the chaperone is a student performing clinicals, for his/her RN class, which would not be considered an office employee. The supplies would still be used for the exam. Can I still bill 99459?
See my response to the last question with regard to how the code was valued. Since staff time plus exam light costs are only priced out at $2.05 for the time of the exam, I would say you are probably not going to be denied reimbursement since the cost of the pelvic exam pack represents 99.9% of the resource cost assigned to 99459.

Good morning, I get that the note needs to state chaperone present. My question is, what if the chaperone is a student performing clinicals, for his/her RN class, which would not be considered an office employee. The supplies would still be used for the exam. Can I still bill 99459?
I agree with @nielynco that 99459 seems appropriate in this scenario. When your practice takes on a student/intern, the practice is supervising, directing, and managing their work and responsibilities. So while the student is not being paid, they are performing the work of an employee with oversight by the practice.

thats a good question, i wonder to

has anyone seen any insurances pay anything for this code. Not one is paying anything for us, and some of them aren't even paying the annual when it's paired together

has anyone seen any insurances pay anything for this code. Not one is paying anything for us, and some of them aren't even paying the annual when it's paired together
Just because there is a CPT code, does not mean it will get paid. Check payer policy on this issue and as 99459 is a new code this year, payers may be postponing paying until they see how it is being reported - or they may have just decided they don't care about the added expense. They should at least be paying on the annual code unless their policy states they do not cover this code or this patient does not have preventive coverage.

Just because there is a CPT code, does not mean it will get paid. Check payer policy on this issue and as 99459 is a new code this year, payers may be postponing paying until they see how it is being reported - or they may have just decided they don't care about the added expense. They should at least be paying on the annual code unless their policy states they do not cover this code or this patient does not have preventive coverage.
Thanks, yeah so oddly so far it seems to be all of them. I forget if medicaid did or not. I'll check payer policy

Is anyone getting United Healthcare or Medicaid products to pay on this code yet?
looks like medicaid paid for us when i had her at least put it in manually on their website, and i know blue cross processed a couple but i think it went toward the patients deductible....

Thanks, Yes we have BCBS and Medicare processing them. Nothing yet for United Healthcare. Michigan Medicaid - I think actually just paid a few! But our other Medicaid plans have denied them.

heyy
i thought it's not applicable for medicare?
Medicare does not pay for preventive services using the CPT E/M codes so these codes would not be billed to Medicare in any case and 99549 could not be an add-on code in that case. They will pay for problem E/M visits and if a pelvic exam is performed during that visit, the 99459 would apply and could be billed (and paid for). Medicare Advantage plans may also pay for it (some of these plans will accept the CPT preventive medicine codes but ask before billing). You would, however, not be able to bill 99459 if you are billing Medicare Q0091 or G0101 as these codes already have staff services and supplies directly pertaining to a pelvic exam built into their valuation via their assigned RVUs.

Medicare does not pay for preventive services using the CPT E/M codes so these codes would not be billed to Medicare in any case and 99549 could not be an add-on code in that case. They will pay for problem E/M visits and if a pelvic exam is performed during that visit, the 99459 would apply and could be billed (and paid for). Medicare Advantage plans may also pay for it (some of these plans will accept the CPT preventive medicine codes but ask before billing). You would, however, not be able to bill 99459 if you are billing Medicare Q0091 or G0101 as these codes already have staff services and supplies directly pertaining to a pelvic exam built into their valuation via their assigned RVUs.
thanks so much!

would this be good enough documentation to use 99459 or if they say just "chaperone present for pelvic exam" and that's it.... I would think for the later not.....

Physical Exam
Vitals and nursing note reviewed. Exam conducted with a chaperone present.
Constitutional:
Appearance: Normal appearance.
HENT:
Head: Normocephalic and atraumatic.
Genitourinary:
Vagina: Vaginal discharge (white) present.
Neurological:
Mental Status: She is alert.
Psychiatric:
Mood and Affect: Mood normal.
Behavior: Behavior normal.

I just had my first denial since using the add on code. I imagine I will start to see more. This claim was from 02/20/24. BC/BS VT, they do not like the Z01.419 diagnosis. I will call them tomorrow and see if they can give any insight. Just wondered if others have seen denials and what they are using for regular pelvic exam code. This one was done at the time of GYN annual physical, so no other diagnosis. Thanks, Des

I just had my first denial since using the add on code. I imagine I will start to see more. This claim was from 02/20/24. BC/BS VT, they do not like the Z01.419 diagnosis. I will call them tomorrow and see if they can give any insight. Just wondered if others have seen denials and what they are using for regular pelvic exam code. This one was done at the time of GYN annual physical, so no other diagnosis. Thanks, Des
Given that using a chaperone is not a diagnosis and there is no diagnostic code that would pertain to this, the code you have used is correct since she would not have needed the chaperone (or the pelvic pack) unless this was performed. Insurers sometimes (no surprise there) like to delay payment or deny services for weird reasons. I will be interested to hear what they do consider an appropriate diagnosis code for 99459 is they do in fact cover it at all.

I have also seen 99459 denied by BCBS TX, Aetna, and UHC. If anyone figures out a workaround, please post!
There may not be a workaround. This was a post from me a few weeks ago on a very similar thread about 99459:
I did some brief investigation tonight and we are also seeing denials with specific insurances when billing preventive with 99459. Most of the denials are diagnosis related (CO11, MA63, M76). Our organization is appealing these.
I'll note there are several possibilities.
1) Because it is coded appropriately does not mean the carrier will pay for it. Many payors have bundling rules over and above NCCI edits. The carrier may never pay for 99459 with a preventive diagnosis.
2) The carrier did not intend to deny, but did not properly load 99459 into their claims processing system.
3) The carrier wants to review these individually (kind of like when some carriers flag modifier -25) and determine whether or not to pay.
4) Any and all of the above, plus any other reason a payor will decide to not pay a claim.
PS - I have also seen some carriers bundle 99459 with E&M 99202-99215, but not many. In fact, one paid the 99459 and denied 99214. 😫 Those are also being appealed.

Thank you all for your replies. I did get ahold of our BC/BS VT rep. and she said it was an error in their system so she was going to resubmit the claims. We shall see if they come back again or not. The other insurance that has denied so far is Medicare VT, as Not covered.
Have a good day all!

There may not be a workaround. This was a post from me a few weeks ago on a very similar thread about 99459:
I did some brief investigation tonight and we are also seeing denials with specific insurances when billing preventive with 99459. Most of the denials are diagnosis related (CO11, MA63, M76). Our organization is appealing these.
I'll note there are several possibilities.
1) Because it is coded appropriately does not mean the carrier will pay for it. Many payors have bundling rules over and above NCCI edits. The carrier may never pay for 99459 with a preventive diagnosis.
2) The carrier did not intend to deny, but did not properly load 99459 into their claims processing system.
3) The carrier wants to review these individually (kind of like when some carriers flag modifier -25) and determine whether or not to pay.
4) Any and all of the above, plus any other reason a payor will decide to not pay a claim.
PS - I have also seen some carriers bundle 99459 with E&M 99202-99215, but not many. In fact, one paid the 99459 and denied 99214. 😫 Those are also being appealed.
I just got three denials, from claims submitted in January, BC/BS stating, Per payer a problem dx code has to be billed with 99459 to specify why patient required pelvic exam. I'm sure there are many more to come. Ty.

thoughts on if this is sufficient documentation to use 99459? I'm assuming not....

Entire exam done with a chaperone in the room

General: WD/WN, Alert and oriented x3

Pelvic exam: no suspicious lesions

thoughts on if this is sufficient documentation to use 99459? I'm assuming not....

Entire exam done with a chaperone in the room

General: WD/WN, Alert and oriented x3

Pelvic exam: no suspicious lesions
That is poor documentation by any standard. I would not use 99459 if the ENTIRE documentation of pelvic exam is "no suspicious lesions". We don't even know what organ didn't have the suspicious lesions. If a one time thing and the provider typically documents appropriately, I would just code what is there. If this is an ongoing issue, I would ensure the provider receives education.

This may be the longest thread I've ever participated in. 😆 I just wanted to share some information I discovered today regarding 99459 and United Healthcare/Oxford. Apparently, when this code was loaded into their systems, it was under the preventive category and not as an add on. As a result, billing 99459 with 99202-99215, 99383-99397 or 9924x would result in a bundling denial. I have been told they have corrected this 04/01/2024. However, for claims prior to 04/01/2024, they will only pay if we (incorrectly) add -25. So:
99396, 99459 results in a denial of 99396.
99396-25, 99459 results in both lines paid.
I personally did not interpret their prior or current written policies this way, but this is the information we verbally received. I can confirm that our claims resubmitted with -25 were paid.
It is certainly possible other carriers also incorrectly loaded 99459 as something other than an add on. Or that another carrier's policy is to never pay 99459. Just wanted to share my experience. Hope this can help someone else as the struggle is real!!

That is poor documentation by any standard. I would not use 99459 if the ENTIRE documentation of pelvic exam is "no suspicious lesions". We don't even know what organ didn't have the suspicious lesions. If a one time thing and the provider typically documents appropriately, I would just code what is there. If this is an ongoing issue, I would ensure the provider receives education
thanks!!

This may be the longest thread I've ever participated in. 😆 I just wanted to share some information I discovered today regarding 99459 and United Healthcare/Oxford. Apparently, when this code was loaded into their systems, it was under the preventive category and not as an add on. As a result, billing 99459 with 99202-99215, 99383-99397 or 9924x would result in a bundling denial. I have been told they have corrected this 04/01/2024. However, for claims prior to 04/01/2024, they will only pay if we (incorrectly) add -25. So:
99396, 99459 results in a denial of 99396.
99396-25, 99459 results in both lines paid.
I personally did not interpret their prior or current written policies this way, but this is the information we verbally received. I can confirm that our claims resubmitted with -25 were paid.
It is certainly possible other carriers also incorrectly loaded 99459 as something other than an add on. Or that another carrier's policy is to never pay 99459. Just wanted to share my experience. Hope this can help someone else as the struggle is real!!
so helpful! just got denials from united saying it's bundled and that must be why!