Wiki Advice on transitioning from pediatric coding to remote and/or specialty.

Best answers
Currently I work in a very small clinic; one MA, one D.O., and myself. We started from scratch and have grown into a profitable solo practice.

I work all the front office duties (secretarial) and back office duties (coding, billing, appeals, authorizations, collections, business research, financial tracking and screening of marketing). I like this practice and don't want to leave it in a lurch, but my pay isn't stellar and I need to increase my income.

I am wondering if it is possible to take on additional remote work while managing the current practice. Would I have time over the weekends, or after hours, or during lulls to actually meet the demands of a second employer?

Also, while I think I could remote code pediatrics without a problem, I am not sure I could do that for specialties since I'd be new to them.

Thoughts or experiences you've had would be greatly appreciated.

Remote Coding

It sounds like you have a variety of excellent experience that would help you tremendously in a remote position. Remote companies like to see your type of background because it speaks to your claims experience and knowledge of processes from the beginning of the claim process to the end of the payment/posting process. This type of knowledge helps in the accuracy of coding.

I've been a CPC for several years and was coding for many years prior to having received my CPC. It has been my experience (approx. 5 years working remotely) that companies want certified coders for remote work and typically have an expectation of 20 hours/week if working part-time. I personally have held a 15 hr/wk part-time coding position along with a full-time remote coding position and found that to be the maximum number of hours I was capable of working.

Your consideration of working remotely as a 2nd income is a good one. I have been asked in the past to drive to work for part-time employment while continuing to work remotely full-time which does not seem practical from the non-commute standpoint.

Good Luck with your decision.

Thanks for the insight. It's reassuring to hear my expectations aren't too crazy.

Did you stay in the same specialty when picking up the remote coding? Or did you change to a different specialty / all specialties?