Wiki Amount and/or Complexity of Data Reviewed section

Jlokloski

Networker
Best answers
I need some clarification on the EKG review and the consultation. This is what I got from the J8 MAC Part B:
Ordering and performance of an EKG into the E/M coding when the EKG is performed in the physician's office. Both the EKG would be part of the Medical Decision Making under the Risk category under Diagnostic Procedures ordered. The interpretation of the ordered EKG is considered part of the EKG reimbursement, and as such is not part of the Amount and/or Complexity of Data to be Reviewed category under the MDM portion of the E/M service. Counting both a review of the ordered EKG and billing for the interpretation and report of the same EKG is incorrect. Does this mean that I cannot count the EKG in the independent visualization of image, tracing, or specimen for 2 points under the Amount and/or Complexity of Data section if I am also billing the EKG separately, since it is double dipping? Does this rule apply to both office and hospital if my doctor is billing for the E/M and the review of the EKG separately? Can I get 1 point in the Amount and/or complexity of data under the medicine section (90701-99199 for ordering the EKG?

thank you for any help on this.

In my opinion, you can count only 1 point in data reviewed section for ordering EKG. However, can not count 2 point for independent interpretation of report as this effort of physician is billed in EKG separately. This is just my thought. Would like to see other opinion also.