Wiki Amputation of Soft Tissue of Finger Tip

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
B
Code: S61
Open wound of wrist, hand and fingers
Code also any associated wound infection
Excludes 1: open fracture of wrist, hand and finger (S62.- with 7th character B)
traumatic amputation of wrist and hand (S68.-)

Category Notes
Injuries to the wrist, hand and fingers (S60-S69)
Excludes 2: burns and corrosions (T20-T32)
frostbite (T33-T34)
insect bite or sting, venomous (T63.4)

Coding Guidelines
Injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes (S00-T88)
Note: Use secondary code(s) from Chapter 20 , External causes of morbidity, to indicate cause of injury. Codes within the T section that include the external cause do not require an additional external cause code
The chapter uses the S-section for coding different types of injuries related to single body regions and the T-section to cover injuries to unspecified body regions as well as poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes.
Use additional code to identify any retained foreign body, if applicable (Z18.-)
Excludes 1: birth trauma (P10-P15)
obstetric trauma (O70-O71)

caquay

Contributor
Best answers
What diagnosis code (ICD-10-CM) would you use for "soft tissue amputation at the fingertip of the left middle finger"?
I am stuck! I don't really like any of the amputation codes as they refer to bones and this is only soft tissue, and the acquired absence codes seem to refer to fingers as a whole not just the finger tip.

Thanks in advance!

ehanna

Guru
Best answers
What diagnosis code (ICD-10-CM) would you use for "soft tissue amputation at the fingertip of the left middle finger"?
I am stuck! I don't really like any of the amputation codes as they refer to bones and this is only soft tissue, and the acquired absence codes seem to refer to fingers as a whole not just the finger tip.

Thanks in advance!

I had an encounter like that today. There was no repair, just the soft tissue tip of finger sliced off, I coded it as an open wound with the external cause codes. I hope this helps.

Emily

CodingKing

True Blue
Best answers
I had an encounter like that today. There was no repair, just the soft tissue tip of finger sliced off, I coded it as an open wound with the external cause codes. I hope this helps.

Emily

I concur, unless it involves disarticulation, or the need to trim down the bone Otherwise its really just an avulsion. For avulsion involving skin or subcutaneous, according to the ICD-10-CM index is coded as Wound, open which leads to S61.-

It would be coded to one of the following subgroups depending on finger and/or fingernail involvement

S61.0- Open wound of thumb without damage to nail
S61.1- Open wound of thumb with damage to nail
S61.2- Open wound of other finger without damage to nail
S61.3- Open wound of other finger with damage to nail

In regards to acquired absence, that is just a status code that a person is missing a body part. Acquired absence means something has been missing for a while. It would not be used in an acute situation.

Last edited: