Wiki Amputation of Soft Tissue of Finger Tip

caquay

Contributor
Best answers
What diagnosis code (ICD-10-CM) would you use for "soft tissue amputation at the fingertip of the left middle finger"?
I am stuck! I don't really like any of the amputation codes as they refer to bones and this is only soft tissue, and the acquired absence codes seem to refer to fingers as a whole not just the finger tip.

Thanks in advance!

What diagnosis code (ICD-10-CM) would you use for "soft tissue amputation at the fingertip of the left middle finger"?
I am stuck! I don't really like any of the amputation codes as they refer to bones and this is only soft tissue, and the acquired absence codes seem to refer to fingers as a whole not just the finger tip.

Thanks in advance!

I had an encounter like that today. There was no repair, just the soft tissue tip of finger sliced off, I coded it as an open wound with the external cause codes. I hope this helps.

Emily

I had an encounter like that today. There was no repair, just the soft tissue tip of finger sliced off, I coded it as an open wound with the external cause codes. I hope this helps.

Emily

I concur, unless it involves disarticulation, or the need to trim down the bone Otherwise its really just an avulsion. For avulsion involving skin or subcutaneous, according to the ICD-10-CM index is coded as Wound, open which leads to S61.-

It would be coded to one of the following subgroups depending on finger and/or fingernail involvement

S61.0- Open wound of thumb without damage to nail
S61.1- Open wound of thumb with damage to nail
S61.2- Open wound of other finger without damage to nail
S61.3- Open wound of other finger with damage to nail

In regards to acquired absence, that is just a status code that a person is missing a body part. Acquired absence means something has been missing for a while. It would not be used in an acute situation.

Last edited: