Wiki Billing When a Doctor completes Forms

EARREYGUE

Guru
Best answers
We have been asked by our doctors, can they bill for the time it takes to complete forms, there are a few different scenarios,
Patient drops off forms to be completed for insurance or applying for disability for thier child(I work in peds/peds subspecialties).
Patient is being seen for follow up on their condition and they bring paper work wanting to be completed at visit.
A parent request doctor to write a letter in depth or report of childs condition for insurance or disability.

We found a few codes but not sure if they are appropriate to use and if one would be okay how to document to bill for it.
99080, or 99455, 99456

Any input is appreciated

99455 and 99456 are work comp codes that include examination and would not be appropriate. 99080 would be appropriate but insurance does not usually pay for it so you would need to tell the patient up front that they are responsible for the payment for completing the forms.

We have been asked by our doctors, can they bill for the time it takes to complete forms, there are a few different scenarios,
Patient drops off forms to be completed for insurance or applying for disability for thier child(I work in peds/peds subspecialties).
Patient is being seen for follow up on their condition and they bring paper work wanting to be completed at visit.
A parent request doctor to write a letter in depth or report of childs condition for insurance or disability.

We found a few codes but not sure if they are appropriate to use and if one would be okay how to document to bill for it.
99080, or 99455, 99456

Any input is appreciated

Scenario 1) I would use 99080-we charge the parent a fee to complete...

Scenario 2) 99080 would be used.....parent is responsible for pymt....

Scenario 3) 99080 would be used...parent is responsible for pymt....

I donot know any commerical insurances that pays for this cpt code....

Hope this helps.....

YTH, CPC

I agree with Yolanda

Scenario 1) I would use 99080-we charge the parent a fee to complete...

Scenario 2) 99080 would be used.....parent is responsible for pymt....

Scenario 3) 99080 would be used...parent is responsible for pymt....

I donot know any commerical insurances that pays for this cpt code....

Hope this helps.....

YTH, CPC

Yolanda,

I completely agree with you on this one, we too charge the pt/parent for competion of forms, we base our fee on how many pages they are completing.

I don't know if any insurance will pay for the 99080 code either.

Just my 2 cents for the day