Wiki BMI diagnosis help

Best answers
Hi Everyone!

Our office sees patients for preventative weight loss and nutritional counseling. We have diagnosis codes for BMIs of 25 and up since anything over 25 is considered overweight or obese. We don't have a way to bill for patients with a BMI under 25 since it is considered a normal weight. In some cases, our patient's achieve a normal weight but still need treatment for sustain accountability. So my question is, is there another diagnosis we can bill for these patients who have achieved a normal weight but still want counseling? BMIs from 20-24?

I would use Z71.3 Dietary counseling and surveillance....this would be an appropriate code to use for maintenance of weight loss.

We do use that code already. For example, if a patient comes in with a BMI of 35 we use E66.9, Z68.35, and Z71.3. But if a patient comes in with a BMI of 20 we can't use E66.3 since they aren't considered overweight, and that's the lowest dx code we have for obesity

the only other code you can use is the Z86.39 for Personal history of other endocrine, nutritional and metabolic disease with the Z71.3

BMI must use 2 coordinating diagnostic codes

Hi

When a patient arrives for weight maintenance still add the BMI with both coordinating dx codes of blocks E66 and Z68. Also there is a Z71.82 is the d.x code now for exercise counseling. And the CPT should be 99401 to 99404 series. Ensure the first dx code is Z71.3 And if patient under BMI of 30 insurance usually will not pay unless another digestive or nutrition problem.

I hope this helps you!

Lady T