Wiki Chapter 19 as Primary Dx

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
B
Code: S99.922A
Unspecified injury of left foot, initial encounter

Category Notes
Injuries to the ankle and foot (S90-S99)
Excludes 2: burns and corrosions (T20-T32)
fracture of ankle and malleolus (S82.-)
frostbite (T33-T34)
insect bite or sting, venomous (T63.4)

Coding Guidelines
Injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes (S00-T88)
Note: Use secondary code(s) from Chapter 20 , External causes of morbidity, to indicate cause of injury. Codes within the T section that include the external cause do not require an additional external cause code
The chapter uses the S-section for coding different types of injuries related to single body regions and the T-section to cover injuries to unspecified body regions as well as poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes.
Use additional code to identify any retained foreign body, if applicable (Z18.-)
Excludes 1: birth trauma (P10-P15)
obstetric trauma (O70-O71)

missmeeka85

Networker
Best answers
Hello,

I am new to coding and learning ICD-10 rules. The software program I am using at work is not letting me use anything from Chapter 19 as a primary dx with an outpatient CPT code. The examples in the ICD book make it look as if chapter 19 codes can be used as primary... is it just my software that is giving me trouble?

Thank you!

Erin

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
The example you give is an unspecified injury code. In all likelihood your software is rejecting because it is unspecified, and not because it is first listed. You really need more specificity for your codes. What CPT code are you trying to link this to?

missmeeka85

Networker
Best answers
99212 is the visit code. I am still very new to coding and this job, so I really appreciate your help. I'm in the middle of AAPC training and haven't yet started the ICD 10 part (I signed up in September, so I'm learning ICD 9). The doctors at my clinic select their own codes, so I am slowly learning how to correct them and notice if they're incorrect.

Thanks!

Erin