clarify new radiology xray code HIPS

pharmon

Guru
Best answers
On the New hip/pelvis codes 73501-73523 with the description is "when" pelvis is performed. I'm rejecting reports back to the radiologist but this wording "when" has left me questioning the pelvis does not have to be done.

"with pelvis when performed" means if hip and pelvis are done in the same session the pelvis is included in the hip x-ray and should not be reported separately. The code would still be reported if its a hip only.

If I see a phrase of "With" & "When Performed" it means the codes is w/ or w/o.

Last edited:
73501-73503 counting views

Hello, I'm having trouble understanding CPT codes 73501-73503 as well.
I'm questioning whether I count the pelvis views at all. Are we only counting hip views?

Here's an example: R. lateral Hip x-ray and an AP Pelvis x-ray are performed. These would be counted as 2 separate views, correct? And therefore coded as 73502, correct?

What would be an example of when to code 73501?

Thanks in advance for any clarification,
Jen

Found my answer

I don't have a subscription or access to this publication but was given this excerpt from a Radiology Tech. who does have access. It answers my question that yes, the total number of views is calculated by adding the number of hip views plus the number of pelvis views.

Resource: "Clinical Examples In Radiology, Newsletters, 2015-Fall Addition, Article 5, Hip"

"The inclusion of “when performed” in the new hip X-ray (73501-73503 and 73521-73523) code descriptors is included to recognize that some but not all radiographic workups of the hip utilize pelvic X-rays too. In the event pelvic X-rays are performed as part of the hip X-ray procedures, separate pelvic X-ray codes (eg, 72170, 72190) are not used; rather; the pelvic X-rays are recognized by determining the total number of views obtained, which then guides selection of the appropriate hip X-ray CPT code. That is, the total number of views is calculated by adding the number of hip views plus the number of pelvis views. For example, when one view of a unilateral hip is performed, code 73501 should be reported. However, if the study is performed along with one view of the pelvis, this is a total of two views and, therefore, the correct CPT code to report the study is 73502, Radiologic examinations, hip, unilateral 2-3 views. A bilateral hip X-ray study (one view of right hip plus one view of the left hip) with one view of the pelvis is reported with code 73522, Radiologic examination, hips, bilateral, with pelvis when performed; 3-4 views. When more than two views of a bilateral hips and pelvis examination is performed, the appropriate code to report is 73522Radiologic examination, hips, bilateral, with pelvis when performed; 3-4 views, or 73523, Radiologic examination, hips, bilateral, with pelvis when performed; minimum of five views.
When pelvis X-rays are performed without a hip examination, then the existing pelvis stand-alone codes 72170or 72190 should be reported based on the number of views taken for the procedure. Although code 72170 was included as part of the RAW analyses, it has not changed for 2016 because it is still performed as an independent procedure.
In addition to the hips and pelvis codes, two new codes were established in 2016 to describe radiological examination of the femur. Code 73551 identifies a radiological examination of the femur, one view and code73552 identifies a radiological examination of the femur, minimum of two views.
The new codes will replace radiologic examination codes 73500, hip, unilateral; 1 view;73510, complete, minimum 2 views;73520, hip, bilateral;73530, hip during operative procedures;73540, pelvis and hips, infant or child; and 73550, femur, 2 views. These codes will be deleted in 2016.

Digital Radiography vs Computed Radiography

Does anyone know if you use different codes to indicate that DR technology was used and not CR technology?

Please, further clarification:

When is 73521 reported? My understanding is there must be at least TWO views of EACH hip to count as two view bilateral, plus one pelvis in order to bill 73522. One view of each side is still only one view bilateral so shouldn't it be reported with 73521, with a pelvis view?

I don't have a subscription or access to this publication but was given this excerpt from a Radiology Tech. who does have access. It answers my question that yes, the total number of views is calculated by adding the number of hip views plus the number of pelvis views.

Resource: "Clinical Examples In Radiology, Newsletters, 2015-Fall Addition, Article 5, Hip"

"...A bilateral hip X-ray study (one view of right hip plus one view of the left hip) with one view of the pelvis is reported with code 73522, Radiologic examination, hips, bilateral, with pelvis when performed; 3-4 views. When more than two views of a bilateral hips and pelvis examination is performed, the appropriate code to report is 73522Radiologic examination, hips, bilateral, with pelvis when performed; 3-4 views, or 73523, Radiologic examination, hips, bilateral, with pelvis when performed; minimum of five views."