Wiki Cms1500/ub04

patricia1992

Best answers
Hello everyone,

In what instance would you bill CPT codes on a UB04? I've never done this and it doesn't seem normal. Also, what is the difference between billing on a UB04 VS a CMS1500? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

UB is for facility services and home health. Yes CPT/HCPCS codes do go on a UB form but its hard to give advice without knowing what services are being billed for. I do see based on your other posts you work for a substance abuse facility and some do bill on a UB. There should be instructions around somewhere on what goes into each field.

Last edited:
Confused

What I've done previously was bill for groups, individuals, family therapies and/or medical visits on a CMS1500 if it wasn't part of their PHP or IOP day. At my current job, the previous biller was billing the above mentioned services with the PHP/IOP days on a UB04 under a 131 bill type. To my knowledge, free standing facilities use a 073x bill type along with the services for PHP/IOP. Previously, I was a biller for a company who was contracted to bill for substance abuse and mental health facilities. I'm confused since I have billed for 5 facilities at one time, as mentioned above, and have not had any problems with claims processing.