Wiki Coding Listed comorbid conditions in HPI

MMillercpc

Networker
Best answers
The documentation in the HPI states:

Chronic pain: The patient is being seen for the follow-up of chronic back pain. The patient reports no change in the condition. Comorbid Illnesses: depression and anxiety.
Does the fact that the documentation indicates the depression is a "comorbid illness" provide enough MEAT or TAMPER to code for Medicare?

Hi
If the wording chronic pain is in the documentation I d add dx M54.5 low back and G89.29 chronic pain if doc has listed these as the patient's
illness for the day. I was understanding that comorbidities had to be related to the current ongoing problem. Does doc expound on why illness and anxiety is related to back pain? I would not list the depression & anxiety unless better documentation.
Well ummm this is what I think.....someone else may have better input.
Lady T:cool:

Unfortunately, one of the unexpected benefits to the rash of school shootings we have had since Columbine has been that Mental Health is taken MUCH more seriously now. And with all the Baby Boomers hitting Medicare age, I'm sure there are going to be A LOT of depressed retirees due to the stock market crash this year....suicide rates will probably be increasing soon, if they haven't already. I do remember reading an MLN Matters article about the new paradigm Medicare is giving Mental Health....you can look it up on the CMS website....was a few years ago, but you can search archives.