Wiki coding sodium chloride 0.9 % (NS) IV soln

RadVCCoder

Contributor
Best answers
I am needing help with how to code sodium chloride 0.9% (NS) IV soln for pain injections and MRI/CT scans. We have recently started billing for an imaging center that also performs pain injections and I am just trying to figure it out but have no one to go to for guidance as I am the sole coder for the company.

We currently are billing J3490 but I do not feel it is the correct HCPCS code. I am wondering if we should be using A4216 for the pain injections (for example they use them to create a space during epidural injections) and then A4217 for MRI/CT scans as the sodium chloride is pushed through with and or after the contrast for the MRI's/CT scans... I have brought this up multiple times and yet I have been told that the only acceptable code is J3490 but we are receiving denial after denial due to "using unlisted HCPC code and there being a specific code to use". I am needing help with how do I know for sure which to use and how to prove it is valid.

PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECEIATED I can provide examples of when we use it and NDC codes if that helps?