Wiki Coding soft tissue mass

sheffner1

Best answers
Can someone please let me know how you would code a soft tissue mass of any site? We are in disagreement here about which code to use.

Thank you so much
Shannon

According to the CPC-H Exam Study Guide, those are coded as excisions by site; what this means is that a patient has a lipoma excised from his/her shoulder, the code would be 23075-6--depending on the depth described in the op report.

I usually go by location (in the op); if it's on a tendon sheath, it should be coded to that site, tendon sheath (if code is available).

Thank you for the reply, it is very helpful. My question is also the diagnosis code. My coworker wants to code them as a benign neoplasm, but the encoder and ICD-9 book guides me to disorder of skin. Any ideas?

I don't trust encoders at all . . .

As for your ICD-9, you'll need the Path report to know the appropriate code assignment in ICD and probably to help you determine that in CPT.

Hope this helps.

in pediatric general surgery we see a lot of soft tissue masses and we use 729.9 unless we get a pathology report back with a specific diagnosis.

The secretaries here are always needing codes in order to precert, so no possibility of getting path first for those - hence 729.89 & 729.9
Connie Martin CPC-GENSG

soft tissue mass

When coding excision of a mass, tumor, cyst, what is the magic word in the operative note that leads you to use the musculoskeletal codes? My understanding was, excision must be through the fascia and removed completely otherwise you have to use the integ section. :confused:

It really depends on the anatomy. It does not allows have to be through the fascia. Sometimes its subcutaneous, and there is a back code (21930) that has no depth at all. It it very important for the surgeon to document the depth of the excision.