covid specimen collection cpt codes

rockylopez

Networker
Best answers
Hello All. I am coding for an Urgent care provider that has been dropping cpt code G2023 when the on office PCR covid testing is performed. i have researched that G2023 cannot be billed as this code is only for independent laboratories. Can anyone please help me :( I have explained that i cannot use the G2023 and the provider is asking me what cpt code can be used for the specimen collection of Covid testing performed in the office. Please help?

Can you please add a link where this guideline is located?
per CMS:

COVID-19 Diagnostic Laboratory Tests: Billing for Clinician Services​

Physicians and Non-Physician Practitioners (NPPs): Here are several reminders related to billing for COVID-19 symptom and exposure assessment and specimen collection performed on and after March 1, 2020:

• Use CPT code 99211 to bill for assessment and collection provided by clinical staff (such as pharmacists) incident to your services, unless you are reporting another Evaluation and Management (E/M) code for concurrent services. This applies to all patients, not just established patients.
  • Submit the CS modifier with 99211 (or other E/M code for assessment and collection) to waive cost sharing.
  • Contact your Medicare Administrative Contractor if you did not include the CS modifier when you submitted 99211 so they can reopen and reprocess the claim.
  • We will automatically reprocess claims billed for 99211 that we denied due to place of service editing.

Hi there Rocky Lopez:)
We bill one of the following CPT codes for SARs 😷or Covid lab test of CPT 86318, 87811 ,86769 and 86368. If the results are positive we code then U07.1 and B97. If it is not positive, we bill J98.8, as dx then Z11.52 if related to a respiratory problem. There is a dx code if the patient returns with COVID again dx U09. Also use Z code Z11.52 as last code on this claim for any encounters for the COVID/SARS lab test. Also other COVID related dx codes are: Z03.818, Z20.822, M35.81, and dx J12.82 are related to COVID if positive.
If wondering ....we use for Monkeypox 🐒dx we use lab code CPT 87596 and dx B04 if positive.
Well hope helped you
Lady T