Wiki CPC vs CCS

mitzekelley

Networker
Best answers
I have been noticing lately that ALOT of companies are wanting to hire applicants that have their CCS and NOT their CPC. Has anyone else noticed this?

I guess a lot depends on where you live. Here in the Pacific NW I'm watchful for the job requirements. Both seem to be equally in demand depending on type of employer of course.

I noticed that too, I am actively looking since I have been told that I am losing my job soon and very hard to find a CPC position, especially one that also does auditing.

CPC versus CCS

I have been noticing lately that ALOT of companies are wanting to hire applicants that have their CCS and NOT their CPC. Has anyone else noticed this?

To be quite honest, the CCS is quite a bit more difficult than the CPC. If you have the CCS you have knowledge of DRG's, ICD9 procedure coding as well as CPT coding, billing, health data systems, registries and so on.
That is why more and more employers want that certification.

The CCS tests both inpatient and outpatient facility coding, since most facilies require their coders to be able to code both types, they require the CCS credential.

Cordelia, CCS, CPC

In my neck of the woods ( Pennsylvania- York, Hbg, Lancaster area) I see alot of employers wanting the CPC credential. It will mostly depend on if it's for a facility vs a physican practice too.

I've noticed more and more postings have RHIA or RHIT listed as well.
Of course, depending on the type of position will require an actual coding certification, but I'm seriously thinking about going for the RHIT certification. It's not a coding credential, but IMO it's more marketable and can more easily get my foot in the door and open more opportunities. ;)

There are a couple of local schools that are CAHIIM accredited, and after completing the degree program there I can sit for the RHIT exam. I'm hoping some of the courses I took for my Associate's degree at a local community college will transfer to those schools.

At least there's no “A” stigma with the RHIT. :eek:

If the only place you're seeking employment is with the hospitals, you may find the CCS is preferred. Because coding certifications are setting-dependent, you have to know where you want to work and choose your credential accordingly.