Wiki CPC ->

Best answers
I’m looking to get some guidance/ input furthering my education. I am currently a CPC-A. I can apply to get my A removed in about a month based on my experience and education.

After a bit of research, I am leaning towards either getting my CPMA or CPCO. I worry that, jobs that prefer these credentials will also require quite a bit of experience to even be considered. I struggled to find an opening as a coder that did not require experience and I don’t want to find myself in a similar situation with another credential.

Is there a right or a wrong way to proceed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

I would just point out, the specialty certifications are not for those without experience. Could one pass it without? Maybe, but it's not recommended. Just because you obtained the certification, employers filling these type roles will want the experience over the credential (in my opinion). I think you are correct in thinking, "I worry that, jobs that prefer these credentials will also require quite a bit of experience to even be considered."

If you read a bit into the individual certification information on the AAPC site it explains:
The CPMA certification exam is a difficult, high-level examination and is not intended for individuals lacking training or experience. Examinees should have CPMA training and/or experience in auditing physician services, and be well versed in different types of audits, including evaluation and management (E/M). A minimum of two years of coding experience is strongly suggested prior to taking the CPMA exam.

The CPCO Preparation Course is designed for the experienced healthcare professional who wants to prepare for the CPCO certification exam and pursue a career as a compliance officer.

For insight: I obtained the CPMA in 2017 and out of all the exams, it was the hardest one in my opinion. At that point I had other certifications and 15+years experience.

Depending on your experience, what specialty(s) you work in, goals, etc. you may want to look at the CPB, CRC or COC. You could always get a couple practice exams for less $ before spending money on anything else just to see what it feels like and what's on it. I wouldn't attempt any of the specialty ones without the proper experience. I have never used any of the training courses personally so I don't know on that.

I’m looking to get some guidance/ input furthering my education. I am currently a CPC-A. I can apply to get my A removed in about a month based on my experience and education.

After a bit of research, I am leaning towards either getting my CPMA or CPCO. I worry that, jobs that prefer these credentials will also require quite a bit of experience to even be considered. I struggled to find an opening as a coder that did not require experience and I don’t want to find myself in a similar situation with another credential.

Is there a right or a wrong way to proceed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

We're literally on the same path. I've been an apprentice for a little over 1 year but working as a biller. I have 0 intentions of seeking other coding certifications until I am at a job that will give me an opportunity to code and pays me accordingly. Why? Because it costs money to be certified and costs time to obtain CEUs.

Best of luck!

It's not a bad idea to have additional certifications beyond CPC, but I would also first recommend working in the field and gaining experience. If an employer requires 2 years of experience for a particular position, and you have none, no amount of additional certifications will override that.
Also, until you've actually worked in the field, you may not really know what type of additional certification or specialty interests you. You may find yourself shocked to realize you love a particular specialty, or a particular aspect that another certification makes sense.
I know a lot of members have a lot of additional certifications, but I personally did not feel it necessary for my journey. In fact, I've been doing medical billing and coding for 30+ years and just a few months ago I took my second certification (CEMC). I will note I found the CEMC practically easy compared to the CPC and finished in just over 3 hours. With now only using 1 set of guidelines and certification exams being shorter than they used to, IF a novice coder really wants a second certification, then CEMC seems viable. CEMC also applies to almost all specialties (excluding pathology, anesthesiology).
But again, I would focus my time, energy, and efforts into finding a position in healthcare and then decide down the road.