Wiki CPCO Certification - course through AAPC

anna80030@yahoo.com

Contributor
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Hi all,

To whom already certified as CPCO, or planning to take the CPCO, how do you plan or already passed the certification? What kind of courses are you taking? Did you pay for the $1500 ($1200 on sale until 3/31/2016) for the course through AAPC? If so, how much did that help you with the exam?

I am CPC for less than two years, I obtained my CPC certificate after completed 13 months program through a Technical college. I am working at a physician owned group, doing outpatient coding, inpatient, GI, and other specialties, we coders are having a hard time to communicate and work with those providers since none of us is auditor, even though some of them are very experienced, but they are still afraid to go out there and speak with providers. So I am thinking to try the CPCO, not sure by paying the amount of money will be able to pass the exam if I study hard.

Please offer any pointers regarding to the CPCO certification, your input is valued and appreciated!

Anna (Tacoma, WA)
253-209-9151
anna80030@yahoo.com

I just recently took and passed the CPCO on my first attempt. The only resources I used were the references listed by the AAPC for the CPCO exam on the webpage, the AAPC CPCO practice exam, and the AAPC CPCO study guide. I did not take any courses. Honestly, all the information you need to know is contained in the sources/references the AAPC gives you to review. I spent three months reading them over and over again in the evening. It's about memorizing the content of the laws and regulations and applying them.

The link on the bottom of this post has all the information you basically need to review. I suggest buying the study guide (I feel these are absolutely necessary for any of the exams) and a practice exam so you can get a feel of what the questions are like when it comes to the scenario based questions. There are some questions that are simply testing your recall on these.

My suggestion is to read all of the OIG Compliance guidance including the foot notes.

https://www.aapc.com/training/cpco-medical-compliance-resources.aspx

CPMA? Or CPCO?

You are just so amazing with all those certifications! How can you keep you with all the CEUs? I also noticed you have CPMA, to be certified in auditing, or compliance officer? My goal is to be able to audit, and compliance, since our company does not have a person who is certified in doing this, so the doctors always upcoding, they wouldn't listen to us coders. Especially this is a physician owned organization. What is your suggestion?

Have a great one!
Anna
anna80030@yahoo.com

I just recently took and passed the CPCO on my first attempt. The only resources I used were the references listed by the AAPC for the CPCO exam on the webpage, the AAPC CPCO practice exam, and the AAPC CPCO study guide. I did not take any courses. Honestly, all the information you need to know is contained in the sources/references the AAPC gives you to review. I spent three months reading them over and over again in the evening. It's about memorizing the content of the laws and regulations and applying them.

The link on the bottom of this post has all the information you basically need to review. I suggest buying the study guide (I feel these are absolutely necessary for any of the exams) and a practice exam so you can get a feel of what the questions are like when it comes to the scenario based questions. There are some questions that are simply testing your recall on these.

My suggestion is to read all of the OIG Compliance guidance including the foot notes.

I agree, that the study guide and practice test is enough to pass the CPCO exam. To answer your question, the CPMA is for auditing of the medical records and is not related to the CPCO.

In regards to the CEU, we purchase the AAPC webinars and through these options we are able to very easily and accurately maintain our CEU's for the 2year requirement.

Good luck!

Chelle Johnson, CPC CPMA CEMC CPCO CPPM

Cpco

I definitely recommend going for the CPCO. It is a good starting certification if you are interested in compliance, practice management, or coding management. I just used the study guide and printed out the suggested reading material. If you are detail oriented enough to follow coding guidelines accurately you can pass the CPCO.

I would caution you against getting it if your sole intention is to make doctors listen to you. You could end up with a lot more legal responsibility but find that the docs that don't listen to what you say now are going to be the ones to ignore any credential that isn't an MD.
My suggestion on talking to doctors is a gentle approach to remind them that you are there to help them with the paperwork so they have time to take of their patients. Most prefer the deferential approach, but if that doesn't work talk to them about how it affects the bottom line. Incorrect documentation and coding leads to unpaid claims.

My final piece of advice is when you try to talk to doctors don't take what they say personally. I am fairly certain that me asking for an insurance card does not "besmirch" the "sacred relationship of the doctor and patient", but one of our doctors feels differently.

Good luck!

CPCO Cert

Hi Daniel,

I just bought the study guide still pending to arrive. I plan to take my time maybe about 3 -4 months before i sit for the CPCO. What resources are you allowed to take with you? I know not the study guide, but how about the resources listed on AAPC if you were to print them....

I have read about compliance 101 book , any thoughts?

Hi Daniel,

I just bought the study guide still pending to arrive. I plan to take my time maybe about 3 -4 months before i sit for the CPCO. What resources are you allowed to take with you? I know not the study guide, but how about the resources listed on AAPC if you were to print them....

I have read about compliance 101 book , any thoughts?

sisleidy22,

For the CPCO exam, any published references are allowed, except Study Guides and any published references by HCCA. I took a HUGE binder with dividers. Most of my material was from the Federal Registry. I did not take notes with me, but I did underline and highlight key points I believed would be important to know.

This page should help:

The test is tough. You need to have a concrete knowledge of the following:
- Healthcare Compliance Program History
- Compliance Program Guidance
- Key and other Risk Areas
- Fraud and Abuse Laws
- Other Laws and Regulations
- Investigations Process/Audits
- References and Resources

The online course is helpful.
The study guide is an excellent reference (you cannot use the study guide for the test.)

To study, I used an app called Brainscape to create my study note cards.

CPCO Exam materials to refer to during exam

What reference materials were allowed during the CPCO exam.
With coding materials you know the code books that can and cannot be used.
What is allowed for this particular exam?

Lee Carr-Brown, RHIA, CCS-P, CPC, COC

What reference materials were allowed during the CPCO exam.
With coding materials you know the code books that can and cannot be used.
What is allowed for this particular exam?

Lee Carr-Brown, RHIA, CCS-P, CPC, COC

Any published reference except study guides and any published references by HCCA. I would not recommend anything published by either AAPC or HCCA.

Ideas:
A Roadmap for New Physicians - Avoiding Medicare and Medicaid Fraud and Abuse - Published by US Dept of Health & Human Services
Each of the publications from the Federal Registry. Google "Publication of the OIG Compliance Program Guidelines for" --- There are multiple.

Any governmental publication - You can usually print these without having to purchase.

Hope this helps.

How many times did it take you?

I have taken the CPCO twice and missed passing both times by 2-4% points. AAPC doesn't have any statistics on the number of attempts it takes on average and can't provide any detail as to questions I missed (only sections). I used their preparation course (achieved a 96% on practice exams), their links to reference material and felt so much more prepared the second time. I had three binders of material to use in case panic mode set in.

How many times did it take you?

I have taken the CPCO twice and missed passing both times by 2-4% points. AAPC doesn't have any statistics on the number of attempts it takes on average and can't provide any detail as to questions I missed (only sections). I used their preparation course (achieved a 96% on practice exams), their links to reference material and felt so much more prepared the second time. I had three binders of material to use in case panic mode set in.

Good morning

I know this is an old post, but did you pass?